Chapter 21

Daisy tilted her head suddenly.

"I heard a gunshot," she whispered.

Jessica and Kestrel immediately tensed.

"I didn't hear anything," Valkyrie said, puzzled.

"Daisy has supersonic hearing," Maralie explained. "Oohh butterfly..." she ran after the butterfly, trying desperately to catch it.

"Ms. Charm," Skulduggery said sharply. "Stay still."

"No," Maralie said stubbornly.

"Mara!" Kestrel hissed. "I don't want to agree with him," she jabbed a finger at Skulduggery, "but you should stay still."

"Fine," Maralie trudged over to them.

Valkyrie sucked her teeth as the man from her house walked out of an alleyway, dropping molten metal.

Skulduggery took a sharp intake of breath (not like he needed it) and glanced at Valkyrie. She nodded slightly and snapped her fingers.

The man smiled. Eager to kill.

Valkyrie flung a flame at him and he caught it and extinguised it.

Damn.

Kestrel took out two swords - they looked like the Cleaver's sythes - and held them in front of her protectively.

Jessica closed her eyes and a protective barrier engulfed her.

Maralie took Daisy's hand and they teleported away.

Valkyrie gathered the shadows to make a large pile and threw them at the man. He side-stepped and the shadows passed by him.

God, he made it look fair easy.

Kestrel ran forward and threw one of her swords at the man. It went straight through him. His facial expression never changed from bored.

Skulduggery stepped forward. "Before we do anything rash-" he was cut off by a punch to the jawbone. He stumbled back and the man advanced.

Jessica and Kestrel moved as one. Jessica flung out fireballs and Kestrel tapped a symbol on her forearm, sending shimmering blue energy to hit the man. He fell back and Kestrel pushed with every ounce of her strength. Jessica moaned as she fell to the floor, drained of all energy.

Kestrel kept pushing. The man was falling now, hitting the ground. With one last burst of strength, she flung out her arms and the man flew back, hit a building. Valkyrie saw surprise on his face. Actual SURPRISE.

Kestrel crumbled to the ground and Valkyrie knelt down, tried to get the girls up.

"Well," Skulduggery said. "That was eventful."

Jessica smiled weakly as she sat up. "We just have to find the girls."

A scream echoed through the alley. Kestrel cursed. That was Maralie's scream.

Maralie suddenly appeared beside them, clutching a bloody body to her chest.

Daisy's body.

**************

Oooh, cliffhanger! :O

Sorry, another short chapter :( I have decided to do short chapters every weekend. Does that work with all of my wonderful Minions? :)

Look up 'Until The End' by Breaking Benjamin. Just... just do it. Please. It really works with Skulduggery :)

~ Love Mara xoxo :):)