Cassian

Prompt: You sometimes forget your mate is General Commander.

You're a daemati like Rhysand so getting into peoples minds was fairly easy for you so you decided to anonymously ask Rhysand a question while acting as if you were taking part in the inner circle conversation when you weren't.

'Is is possible to fall out of love with your mate?'

A stunned silence fell over his mind.

'Who is this?'

He questioned but no one responded.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

You were sprawled across the couch of you new-ish friend Meriot.

"Won't your mate be happy to know that your hiding in another guys house after-"

"We haven't-he hasn't yet!"

You sputtered out face reddening unable to contain you embarrassment.

"We haven't done that yet"

You spoke calmly and he rolled his eyes at you amused at you and raised an eyebrow.

"Not ready yet?"

You frowned staring at the ceiling thinking over things.

"I'm more than ready it's just. . .I don't think he wants to"

"What man in his right mind wouldn't want to bend you ove-"

"Mer!"

He chuckled taking a sip of his piping hot tea and then got a serious look in his face as if urging you to continue.

"I think he's lost interest in me, I mean I guess I'm not all that interesting.

I think I'm just another group member to him."

There was a sudden glint in his eye and a smirk was beginning to form.

"You never told me what this guys name is."

You shrugged "I feel like something might
change- hey there's gonna be a celebration held by the High Lord marking the anniversary for them uniting wanna come with me."

You sat up for the first time since inviting yourself in, surprise crosses his face.

"How did you manage to get invited to that and shouldn't you be going with your mate?"

"Is that a no?"

"Not necessarily"

———————————————————————

Entering the party you realized that none of the inner circle was in sight and told Mer you would introduce him to Cass a little later not yet mentioning his name yet.

About halfway through the night Meriot motioned for you to come closer and leaned down to mutter in your ear.

"What if I told you someone important was eyeing you?"

Your eyes darted across the room before you responded.

"I would ask you where and important how?"

Mer's laid back grin seemed to widen.

"To your far right and like High Lords General Commander important."

You paused and searched around feeling familiarity in that title.

Just then you met the eyes of none other then your mate turning quickly you cringed running a hand through your hair.

"That's my mate."

His eyes widen and something you later recognized as fear flashed across his face.

"Wow Y/N you're really trying to get me killed right now!"

Sarcasm evident in his voice.

"You didn't tell me that your mate was Lord of Bloodshed dude he looks like he's seething."

You shrugged feeling bad but what was Cassian pissed off about.

"Y/N if you were any other person I would have little walked out by now but because I trust you won't let him kill me I've decided to help you."

You scoffed.

"Help me I already told you my situation what is there to help?"

Meriot grinned and slang his arm over your shoulder making sure your bodies touched.

"I'm going to make him jealous"

———————————————————————

Another hour or so was spent closely casual touches would linger for a little longer than usual and Mer would look up casually to observe Cassian's reactions.

Until he decided he would take a large leap forward instead of baby steps and wrapped his arm around your waist pulled you forward and kissed the sensation skin underneath your ear.

He asked your permission of course but it still made you gasp and place your hand hand lightly on his his chest.

"Perfect, maybe you should become an act-"

A loud snarl made everyone around you freeze your blood ran cold in your veins when Mer was harshly shoved away from you by a hulking figure.

"Cassian!"

You didn't wait for a response but instead grabbed his shoulder forcing him to stop before he did anything else.

You winced at the glare he sent at your best friend and touched your palm to his cheek trying to earn his attention.

Hesitantly he turned his attention from Mer to you and wrapped his arm that was vibrating from anger around you pulling you against him and winnowing away before you could object.

Only a moment later you were winnowed into an unfamiliar room Cassian's room you realized radiating nervousness.

"Cass"

You muttered realizing his back was to you and he turned swiftly catching you off guard.

"What do I have to do"

"Cass"

"What do I have to do to show you that your mine, and no one else's"

You let out a quiet and nervous exhale and reached to brush the hair out of your face but he caught your hand and used his other to pull the hair band out of your long dark hair.

"Do what your heart is telling you to do Cass"

A cautious look in his eyes as he responded.

"What if I want to do something"

He paused hand slowly trailing down your back.

"Indecent"

You tilted your head.

"Do with me what you wish"