Tragically Lost

Chapter Seventeen

          Tragically Lost

William’s POV

A loud and steady knock echoes throughout the large room. I sprinted to the door in a hurry and opened the door in haste, wanting to try and get Edith treated as fast as I could. Dr Livingstone was stood at the door, his medical briefcase in one hand.

       He had a bushy, messy moustache but no beard and his light grey hair was thinning on top of his head. I stood aside to let him into the room and shut it behind him. He sat in the seat I accompanied beside Edith’s bedside and placing his medical briefcase down. Since her mother and I arrived back, Edith’s condition has just remained the same, and it was worrying me a great deal.

       He bent down and opened his briefcase, pulling out a stethoscope, before he put them in his ears, he glanced at her mother. “Who are you?” He asked her in a gruff voice.

       “I am Edith’s mother and a trained nurse.” She replied back.

           “Why did you send me then?” He questioned annoyed.

                 “Because I wanted a second opinion.” I answered back, a little annoyed. “You can tell me your opinion now.” I pushed and he instantly complied, putting the stethoscope into his ears and pulling the covers back from Edith. He put the circle end onto her chest and left it there for a few moments before pulling it back.

      “Her heart rate seems perfect.” He muttered before taking it from his ears and putting it back in his briefcase. “What symptoms did she have?” He asked, looking directly at me.

      “I found her this morning hunched over the toilet seat, she was pale and had been sick multiple times.” I replayed back to him.

       “Anything else?” I shook my head. “Okay, would you mind exiting the room while I do a more thorough examination?” He asked, but it seemed more like a rhetorical question as he did not wait for my answer, instead he turned back to Edith and muttered something to her which I did not quite catch.

        I walked out of the door without another word and checked my pocket for the photograph, glad I took it back from Edith’s mum. To pass the time, I may as well try and find her father and inform him that his daughter in on the same ship, it is sure to put a smile on his face.

       I strolled up to the docks, going in the direction of the Lower Class section. The ship was set out so much easier than what the Titanic was. Yes, I have a little regret that I unable to take Edith on there and travel to America in a more refined class, but I also did not want to stay in England longer than I had to.

      I sat on some benches and let the breeze flow through my short hair as I overlooked the hundreds of people of all ages and genders, trying to find a man that formed some resemblance to the man in the photograph, when none of them stood out, I made my way down the steps that led to where they all slept.

        A woman in her mid-forties came storming up to me, her hands in balls by the side. “What do you think you’re doing down here?” She cried furious, making me confused once again, I had never met this woman before!

       “What do you mean?” I questioned politely.

             “Oh the cheek! Us lot aren’t allowed up on your deck, what gives you the right to come sauntering down ‘ere?” She yelled, her once balled fists now on her hips.

       “I am sorry if I offended you ma’am, but I am looking for someone.” I informed her, keeping calm, I pulling out the photograph from my pocket. “Have you seen this man?” I asked as I pointed to him.