The World Over

Written by John & Jemma :)

Just a quick note: There is a POV change in this chapter but its the only one in the story as I need to show the reader about the different lives of the two main characters at the time. Please do not comment on it as I know that it can be confusing!

Picture of Edith on the side :)

Chapter One 

      1899 – Southampton, England

Edith’s Mum POV

I sat down at the table in front of my husband. “Do we honestly want to do this Gerald?” I asked carefully, whilst glancing at Edith who sat in her high chair, gurgling and banging on the wooden tray with not a worry in the world. He nodded his head once and I knew that this was real. My heart sank as I thought about everything that we would both miss.

A knock sounded at the door and after wiping my hands of the sweat on my white apron, I answered the door, where my sister Harriet and her husband Peter stood. I gave them a weak smile before letting them inside our small two-bedroomed terrace house.

They stood awkwardly in the lounge as I wandered over to Gerald and placed both hands on his strong shoulders, the scratchy tweed blazer irritating my fingers and palms. I watched as Harriet wandered into the kitchen wear we stood and picked up Edith, making me think twice about our decision.

“Hello Edith, do you remember me?” She smiled, bouncing her on her hip. Edith smiled back and nodded. “Are you coming to live with me for a little while?” She continued and I knew that Harriet and Peter would do a grand job of looking after her for the time being. I didn’t need to have worries about her, she’ll be safe.

Edith looked towards me and Gerald in confusion. She had just started to process what we said to her properly and she had said her first word: Mummy. I’m thankful that we got to see all of that before we went.

“I’ll go and get her bags.” I told the three of them before exiting the room. I sat on the stairs and wept like I hadn’t in years.

A soft hand was placed on my shoulder and I glanced up to see Harriet stood there, minus Edith. “Are you okay?” She asked in a hushed whisper and I nodded my head whilst wiping the tears from off my face embarrassed.

“Yeah I’m fine thank you,” I replied before getting up and dusting myself down. I turned my back on her and ascended the stairs. I entered her small room where her second hand cot stood, in pieces, ready to be taken. It was the only thing that was being taken to Harriet’s house apart from her clothes.

I carried the bag full of clothes and shoes down first before making the trip again and bringing the cot down in two trips. With every passing second, my heart hurts that little bit more. I need to do this, but the urge to just run away became more and more plausible as time passes by.

I entered the kitchen where everyone stood and took Edith out of Peter’s arms and gave her a tight hug, willing the tears that were close to falling, to not. “Edith, will you behave for Aunt Harriet and Uncle Peter?” I asked in a soft tone and she nodded her head.

“I promise mummy.” She told me in her sweet and childlike tone that made you want to laugh. I tickled her on her stomach and she giggled, whilst squirming in my arms. I stopped and placed a soft kiss on her head before passing her onto Gerald.

“I love you Edith.” He said simply and it brought a small tear to my eye. I wiped it away before anyone could see and smiled down at Father and Daughter.