The Devil at the Table

Chapter Ten

         The Devil at the Table

William’s POV

I sighed as I looked at all the servants walking about, trying to get ready for tonight. They may not want my pity, but they sure are getting it. They work all the time with little pay, it is a disgrace. If I could stop it, I would but for now, I’m just going to keep my mouth shut. I mean, I may believe in it, but I shall not do anything to change it. Nobody in our world would listen…well maybe the suffragettes, but they only seem to care about themselves, I mean women. They treat servants with care, but they do not actually care about them. I have seen them on their marches around town and in the newspaper, they just smash windows. How do they expect to gain respect by doing such things?

“Sir, where would I put these?” Gretchen, a maid asked, holding a vase.

“Why are you moving it?” I asked kindly.

She reminded me of a frightened cat. “I…I was told to move them.” She whispered, but I caught what she had said.

“I would just put it in the cabinet for now.” I told her and she nodded her head before wandering off quickly.

My mother was having a dinner tonight to celebrate the King and Queen gaining new titles of Emperor and Empress of India. I did not see the point, but my mother explained that it was to show everyone that they respected the Royal Family. Pitiful and pointless, but that was my mother.

“Son, Robert Peary is coming tonight; he has a surprise for us all as well.” My father told me as I passed by his study, en route to the kitchen.

“Is he? Why would he have a surprise for us?”

“Because I helped fund his adventure to the North Pole.” He told me. “I am telling you now, he did make it there first, that surgeon who claims he made it there last year is stupid and should not be listened to, if I was part of the police force, I would have had him hung the first second he made the claim!” My father exclaimed and I nodded my head in agreement.

“I know father, people are getting too big for their boots nowadays.” I spoke and he nodded his head.

“Yes, like those women! The vote for women is ludicrous!” He told me and I nodded my head, I thought they deserved the vote, but I wish they went about it in a different manner.

“I agree father, but I shall be going.” I told him, before exiting the room and walking into the great hall where my mother stood in a frantic manner.

“Mother, are you alright?” I spoke with alarm; she looked at me after a few moments.

“Of course I am William, now go and get changed, they shall be here soon.” She scolded and she looked me up and down, shaking her head. “Do you care at all?”

“Mother, I do care. I shall go and get changed now.” I told her.

“Take Wright with you!” She told me as I started to descend the stairs. I sighed before nodding my head and finding him. Once I was changed into my suit, with help from Wright, I made my way downstairs to greet everyone as they walked in.

Edith walked past the stairs and I furrowed my eyebrows together as I watched her. I was sure she was meant to have been helping the cook in the kitchen. “Edith!” I called and she turned around startled.

“Yes sir.” She asked, using my title which I hated.

“Are you not meant to be helping the cook?” I asked, trying to act cold as my mother stood by watching.