Remember This Day

Chapter Twenty-Five

     Remember This Day

   William's POV

      The bundle in my arms made me so proud, after four hours of labour, Edith gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. She was gorgeous and she seemed to have her mother's eyes, but Edith's mother said that you couldn't really see their features until they were a few months old. 

   Everything was going perfect since we arrived in America, the school was starting to be fixed and now I had the most beautiful baby girl. All I had to do now was marry Edith officially, seeing as everyone already thought we were married, and then we'd be set. 

   Obviously her dad was not happy when he found out that she would be born before the marriage, but over the last few weeks, I honestly feel like he has come to terms with it. Of course, it was against the Church's rules, but I think I also have to confess that I have not been to church since coming from England and as soon as Edith and I are married, I have vowed to start attending again. 

   I passed the baby back to Edith who looked really tired and I smiled down at her. "Thank you." I told her honestly and in response, her cheeks lit up bright red. 

      "Does this mean I'm an Uncle now?" Peter asked, his eyes glancing from the baby to me. 

      "It does, but isn't it time you and Harriet both went to sleep now? It is late." I ordered more than asked them. They both nodded their heads and went outside the room and up the stairs to their respective bedrooms quietly. Both of the children were respectful of their elders, which was good. It's how I'm going to raise my baby girl as well.

   "I think we'll both go as well, leave you two alone." Edith's mum spoke up before she pulled Gerald out of the room with her. 

      We were in our bedroom and the cot was at the side of the bed on Edith's side. "12th April 1912." Edith cooed before yawning. 

      "Yes, I think we'll always remember this day today as the happiest of our lives." 

      "We will." She agreed with a tired smile. 

      I bent down and picked up our child before placing her in the oak cot that had snow, white bedding. I knew not to cover her up though as Edith's mother had given us a crash course on the basics over the past few days, even though as I held her, I was so scared of dropping her, she was so fragile and small.

   Once she was settled, I climbed in the bed next to her. She had given birth in the spare room and not long afterwards, we made our way into this room as it was nice and clean. "So, do you have any preference on a name?" I asked her. 

   Everytime she blinked, it took her longer to open them up again. "April? I do not know at the moment, I'm too tired." She mumbled before falling asleep. 

      The morning after, I awoke with a huge smile and turned to see Edith who was not even there, but just as I was about to shout out for her, I saw that the baby was also gone from the cot so she was probably with the baby and if she was, she might be trying to get her to sleep or feeding her and I do not want them both to be disturbed. 

  I got up and changed into my daytime clothes before going down the stairs and wandered into the kitchen to see Edith sat there with her mother and Harriet, the thing that made me grin even more was the huge smile she was sporting as well. 

   "Good morning." I greeted as I sat down at the dining table with them.

      "Morning." They all replied in unison. 

      "Have you decided on a name yet for the birth certificate?" I asked her. I did not know about names much, but I did know that the birth certificate had to be sent to the town hall soon. 

      Edith's mum nodded, "we have a short list." 

      "Well let's hear it then." I spoke and they passed me the list that had the names: April, Victoria, Elizabeth, Catherine and Beatrice. I read over them again and couldn't decide. I did not like April that much nor Beatrice and Victoria seemed a little old-fashioned..."What's your favourite?" 

   Edith looked down at our child in her arms and back to the list, "Elizabeth Cunningham has a nice ring to it." She said with a small smile and I nodded agreeing. "Don't you agree mother?"

      "I do, Elizabeth is a beautiful name." 

      I got up from the table, kissed both Edith and Elizabeth on the cheek before going out to fill the birth certificate in and drive into town to get it documented.