The Decision of My Life

Chapter Thirteen

         The Decision of My Life

The video on the side is of the music that Charlotte walked down the aisle to. I think it is beautiful :’)

William’s POV

Today was the day. Today I married the witch of a woman Charlotte May Darlington. Ever since Edith told me to go away on Christmas Eve she has been playing on my mind, all the way into the New Year, but I am expected to do this, regardless of feelings. I cannot let my family’s name down. If I chose Edith and we wandered into the town, abuse would be shouted at her from all angles, and I do not want to hurt her more than I already have.

My mother has convinced me that it was a fling and that nobody else can know about it. I felt dirty when she told me that because I know it was more than that, Edith and I are the perfect match, we just cannot work. Charlotte and I is the more compatible and that is what I am going to be sticking with.

My father walked into the room with two glasses of whiskey in his hands. He did not know about Edith and I and I do not think he wants to know, as he would see me as a disappointment and that would hurt and this venture into the cold and heartless world of Charlotte would be as pointless as it already is.

“Father, when you were marrying mother, did you ever feel nervous?” I asked him as I took the glass out of his hand and took a quiet sip before placing it on the dresser.

He shook his head. “We did not have time to feel nervous and I knew she was the one I wanted to be with and that was that.” He told me sternly. “You should not feel nervous neither, you and Charlotte are perfect together. She is graceful, comes from a rich family and she is lovely.”

“Father, what if I am nervous?” I asked him. Father had listed three words to describe Charlotte and she was only one of them – comes from a rich family, and I do not care for that. I have been privileged all of my life and since meeting Edith, my eyes have opened and I have realised that money does not make you happy, love and friendship do, and I had that with Edith.

“Son, do not be nervous, there is no reason to be. She will not say no and as long you know what you are going to say, which you do, you have no reason to be nervous. Just drink the whiskey and you shall be fine.” He spoke in a wise manner before giving me a smile and walking out of the room.

I looked down at my black suit, waistcoat and trousers one last time to make sure they were creaseless and wandered down to the grand hall where I was to make Charlotte, Mrs Charlotte Cunningham.

I stood at the end of the aisle, where my cousin Nicholas and father stood. This was supposed to be the happiest day of my life and it was not. “What is with the sullen face?” Nicholas asked light-heartedly. He has always been one to cheer people up.

“I don’t know.” I told him half-truthfully. “I think it is just pre-wedding jitters.” I told him quietly to make sure father did not hear and tell me how perfect we were.

“What is she doing here?” Nicholas asked shocked, pointing to someone at the back of the church. My eye’s followed to where he was pointing to see a shabby looking Edith. She looked like she had been living on the streets and it made me worried for her well-being instantly.

“She used to be a maid for her.” I told him, trying to keep him from putting attention on him. If my mother saw her she would cause a scene. Why is she watching me marry someone else? It hurts enough, but I do not want to see her on my wedding day, it is making it ten times harder for me to say ‘I Do’.

“She should not be at a wedding like this.” He spoke with disgust in his voice.

I turned to glare at him, “do not be like that.” I snapped. “She has the same right to be here that you have.”

He took a few steps backwards and shot his eyes downwards, not talking to me anymore which was a good thing because all I wanted to do was go over to her and tell her to go, because it is painful to let her watch me get married to someone I do not want to get married to.

Everyone suddenly shushed and the music: Air on a G String by Johann Sebastian Bach, the song my mother wandered down the aisle to when marrying my father played and Charlotte followed it, looking beautiful, but I knew that she was cold and a mean woman for me to be masked by it.

She stood in front of me, us both holding hands, facing each other, her face the picture of confidence and that is when I snapped. I dropped her hands and stood two steps backwards. “I cannot marry this woman.” I told the people in the church. My mother stood up to protest but I told her to sit back down and turned towards Charlotte, who looked annoyed. “You are a cold person and I do not love you. When I spoke those words that one night at my mother and father’s estate, those were my real feelings towards you. You make my skin crawl whenever I see you, so goodbye Charlotte.” I told her and turned around to walk off and get Edith, who had stood up, tears in her eyes.

Before I could go to her however, an arm grabbed my own and I turned to see Charlotte grabbing my arm. “You cannot do this to me.” She hissed but I took her hand off of my arm.

“I can do this, and I am.” I told her sternly before walking a few steps up the aisle. I turned towards my mother. “Do you know that girl you sacked? Well, she is the one I love and she is stood at the back of the church. I do not want to marry someone for the status, I am not that shallow. Now if you give me my blessing, we can be on our way.” I told her but she just stood up and slapped me hard across the face.

“How could you do this to your mother and father? You selfish, selfish man!” She cried before walking past me and over to my father and weeping in his arms. To say I did not expect the next scene was an understatement. Edith stormed down the aisle of the church, pulled my mother from my father’s arms and slapped her across the face.

“I am sorry I did that, but your son is not selfish, he is the most caring man I know.” She yelled at her, then turned on Charlotte. “And you! William is ten times the woman you will ever be! He is not shallow and wants to love and be loved, whereas you are just a manipulative woman who wants to marry William because he has status! If that is not shallow and harsh I do not know what is!” She cried angrily. She then grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the church in a hurry.

I gaped at her as we stood in the grounds of the church, too shocked to form any words. I had stood up for myself, it only took twenty years, but I have done it and I couldn’t help the smile that was on my face. I had beaten my mother, my father…everyone.

After a few peaceful moments, I pulled her out of my arms. “Edith, thank you for sticking up for me.” I said softly. “I know what we are to do, but first we have to back to my house and get something.”