The Tour

Chapter Eight

William’s POV

It had been an uneventful week since the circus.  Since Father received the letter from Albert Einstein about visiting the Titanic, we came up with the idea, to have excellent people from all over Europe come and visit her, for an exclusive opening. When Ismay and Andrews found out about the idea, they were happy to go along. It was the huge publicity the ship needed.

“William, where is Charlotte?” My father bellowed, as he descended the grand staircase.

“She is to be here soon. Her father is bringing her.” I told him. Thankfully, Edith is out of his hands now and is now the cook’s helper, which the cook was grateful for, as well as her.

“Okay then, my son. Are you to join me in a glass of brandy?” He asked as he made his way to his study that was located at the end of the hall way downstairs.

“Just the one, courage for this afternoon.” I responded, following behind him.

“Yes, I can already tell this is going to be a huge success.” I was not talking about taking a tour of the Titanic tomorrow evening, more of the fact that Charlotte is coming.

We both wandered in and father poured out the two glasses. He turned around and passed my drink to me, which I took gladly. “Father, have you got a list of who is to be attending the tour?” I wondered as I sat down in the leather settee.

“I do. It is in the drawer in my desk.” He told me and I got up and wandered over to his huge desk that sat in the centre of the room. I opened up the top draw where a folded up piece of paper sat on top. I picked it up and showed it to my father. “Is this it?”

He nodded his head, so I closed the drawer shut and moved away from his desk, sitting back down in the leather settee. I took a small sip of my brandy before opening the piece of paper and seeing a list of names known throughout England.

·         Robert Peavy

·         Niels Bohr

·         George Bernard Shaw

·         Robert F Scott

·         King Vittorio Emanuel lll of Rome

·         Albert Einstein

·         King George V

“That is an impressive list.” I told him as I folded it back up.

He nodded his head. “It is. Have you decided which servant to take with you?”

“Yes, I shall take Wright.”

“You are fond of him are you not?”

“Yes I am father. He has been there since I was a child.” I told him. Wright was Harold’s nephew and always looked after me when I was a child and never told on me when I did something wrong. I have always admired him. When I move house, to my own, I shall be taking him with me.

A knock sounded at the door. It was Newton. “Sir, Lord Darlington and his daughter have arrived.”

“Thank you Newton, you can go now.” My father commanded in a soft voice. We both followed Newton and wandered over to where they stood, in the entrance of our house. “Lord Darlington! Charlotte! William and I are happy that you can make the tour, which I am sure will be an important part in history.” My father greeted.

“I am sure it will.” Darlington replied. I kept my gaze away from his, I was still angry at him, I did not want him coming to day, but my father’s match making skills made it inevitable.

“Charlotte, so you want to come this way?” I wondered as I took her arm.

“Thank you.” She replied in a feminine voice.

**************

After they both arrived, we set off towards the Titanic in Belfast. The journey was tedious. The whole journey was about Charlotte and me, which I did not enjoy as I do not see myself with this woman in my future. Edith’s words come back to me, ‘but would you rather live an unhappy life?’ the answer is no. I do not want to live a life where I am unhappy and work all the time. I want someone who can make me laugh and will make me happy and loved. Charlotte is cold and does not care for me.

“Are we ready to go?” My father asked happily.

I nodded my head. “We are. We are ready to see the largest ship our eyes will ever see.”

Charlotte huffed. “But if you can see the largest ship, that surely means that someone in the near future will build one just as large, if not bigger.” Charlotte commented.

“No one has the money to build a ship larger than this one. This is it.” My father responded irritated.

We all climbed into our cars and we were driven to the shipyard, where the Titanic stood in all her majestic glory. As she came into our view, I was shocked to see her look up at it in awe.

We all stepped out of our cars to be greeted by Ismay, Smith and Andrews. “Good day, sir.” The captain greeted my father.

“Thank you.” He replied.

We all made our way into the cabin. We had to arrive early so that we could get ready. Charlotte and my mother made their way to the back so they could miss all the details that would bore them. The servants did the same.

“So, have you got the list?” Ismay asked and my father passed him the sheet of paper.  “This is impressive.”

“It is.” I responded.

“What time are they to arrive?” Andrews asked as we all stayed huddled around the table.

“Around eight o’clock.” My father told them.

“Ahh, so in half an hour, that is plenty of time.”

For the half an hour we had, the three men showed my father, I and Darlington where the rooms of the high class were.

Wright tapped on my shoulder. “Sir, they have arrived.”

I nodded my head. “Thank you Wright.”

We all stood up and made our way outside where seven of the most influential men stood. “Welcome to the Titanic!” Ismay declared, stepping forward and shaking their hands. We all did the same.

“No problem, sir. We are glad to be the first people to see her beauty.” King George told us.

“A beauty she is.” Andrews told them as we started walking to the boardwalk that would take us upon her.

*********************

“This is truly amazing.” Charlotte told me in a hushed whisper as we wandered into the dining room.

“I know it is.”

“This room is to hold four hundred men, women and children.” Ismay declared happily.

“That is a lot of people.” Einstein spoke. “How many people will this ship hold?”

“Just over 2,200 people Mr Einstein.” Smith told them.

“That’s a lot of people.” My mother spoke. “How will you keep the classes separate?”

“The lower and middle classes will have separate sections; we will have staff that will make sure they do not walk onto the higher class section. If they cannot afford it then they shan’t walk on it!” Ismay cried and everyone laughed but I. Not everyone can afford high class tickets; I think segregating them is ridiculous. Isn’t that what the American Civil War was about? All men and women are equal. Is that not what God told us in the Bible?

After walking around the grand ship, we all wandered back outside. “That is a truly amazing ship. Congratulations. It has been an honour seeing her. I am sad now that I cannot aboard her.” Robert F Scott told us.

“She will miss you.” Ismay told him, gaining a few laughs.

“So, I am glad you liked her. We shall be setting sail on the 12th April 1912, her first maiden voyage.” Smith told them. “So until then, I bid you farewell.” He said before walking away and getting in to his car.