They Can't Be Dangerous

She stretched her arms down as far as she could, trying to reach the tips of the waves as they lapped against the boat. She had just spent the whole day chatting with the entire crew, they were very verbal and entertaining. Lucy could see herself being very content at the moment. She stared out at the horizon, her hands getting soaked by a larger wave. The ocean went on forever, as far as she could see, no stretch of land whatsoever in the distance.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

Almost startled by the voice, Lucy turned to see Gray leaning against the railing next to her. Smiling at him, she nodded in agreement. It was beautiful, stunning even.

"Don't be fooled though, as beautiful as it may be, it contains horrors you can't even imagine. People die on these waters every day, there's a reason for that. Soon as you let your guard down, you're dead," Gray deadpanned as he stared out over the water.

Lucy's attention was fully on the black-haired man, he didn't look towards her, his eyes trained on the sea. Lucy felt the urge to ask questions about what he meant but feared the answer.

"We are still working on the woman's quarters, we wanted a little of your input. It's going to be only you living in it for who knows how long, so you might as well help design it so it is built the way you want it, right?"

Gray pushed off from the railing giving a quick gesture for her to follow him. She did so, following him around a corner she saw the small building they were constructing. It was only the frame of the outside for now, but they were fast and efficient at their job. It was mostly on one side of the deck, between the captain's quarters and the hatch to get down to the kitchen and men's quarters. It was pretty big, considering it was only for one person right now, but it would be appropriate when more women were aboard. She walked up to the wood frame and ran her fingers down it. This would be her new home. She let her hand slide down the rough wood and fall to her side, her eyes catching on the ground. Something was off about it. Kneeling down she took a closer look. The ground was black, almost like it had been burnt. The markings went around where the new wood had been laid down, she hadn't noticed it before.

"There had been a women's quarters here before right?" Lucy asked, Gray, who was still standing beside her, gave a small nod.

"Was there some kind of fire?" She asked, soon s it was out of her mouth, she saw his face change but he quickly hid his emotions. She waited for a response.

"Yeah, there was a fire. That's a story for another time, it's best not to ask about for a while ok?" he spoke politely about it, but in reality, the whole thing irked Lucy to no end.

Everyone seemed to be keeping some kind of secret, were they scared she couldn't handle it? She wasn't a child, she was a pirate. Chewing on the inside of her lip, she didn't say anything back. Maybe this had to do with the Lisanna girl. That would explain why his face looked sad for a brief moment. Had she died in a fire? Had the woman's quarters burnt down with her inside? Then how come it was just restricted to the one building? Nothing else had been burnt. It just didn't make sense, none of it did. How come no one would talk about her? Who was Lisanna? Lucy walked aimlessly towards where she assumed the door would be, Gray followed quietly.

"Oi! Lucy!"

Without even turning, she knew who it would be, the unusual pink-haired Captain. She heard a lot of ruckus and decided to turn to see him. He was carrying a vast array of swords, sheathed, thank god. Some were sticking out at odd angles and swatting people as he ran past. However, he didn't slow, he ran straight up to Lucy and dumped the swords in a heap in front of her.

"You ready?" he asked excitedly, staring at her intensely.

"Um, ready for what exactly?" she couldn't help but be slightly nervous, she was beginning to understand the ways of the Captain of this ship. His ways were sudden and downright scary sometimes.