Chapter 22: Chemical

If you are reading this, the plot has changed from it's original destination. Let's hope I can bring it back to like.-NH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John's P.O.V

Since the incident in the library, things had been surprisingly quiet... eerily so. It was clear that Moriarty was going to try to get to us; why else would he come back after all that had happened? The only things that remained were questions- when? How?

Why? Well, we already knew why.

It was nothing new for Moriarty to play games, the king of the intricate web he lay upon, but he was going too far with things; I would make sure his heart stopped beating and his last breath was one of agony if he came near Sherlock again.

It had been four days, and Sherlock and I had started going back to the joy of lessons- it was no secret that I hated that Sherlock had Chemistry with Moriarty, the one lesson that we didn't share. People thought I was jealous, that I was worried about competition. They couldn't be more wrong. Damn it, I felt like he was vulnerable, especially when things could so very easily go wrong in a Chemistry lab. Luckily, I knew that Molly would always tell me about anything that didn't seem to fit, or any outright information that happened to slip Sherlock's mind. Even if Sherlock didn't want me to know.

Sherlock was in Chemistry right now, and our teacher hadn't turned up to Biology, so I was left on my own. It wasn't too bad, being alone; it was being lonely that used to hurt. I was pulled from my string of downward-spiralling thoughts sharply, light footsteps filtering through my bubble, shattering the lock in my mind and bringing me back to the dull classroom.

"John?" a small, yet sure voice called from close behind me, making me look up questioningly from my secluded spot in the corner of the computer room. I turned around with a questioning eyebrow to see a girl I vaguely knew, though, only from having seen her with Molly a handful of times.

"May?"

"Mary," she corrected with a smile, pushing a tight ringlet of blonde hair behind her tiny ear. Her eyes were bright and friendly, her clothes casual and unrevealing; a seemingly nice girl.

Well, appearances were little to go by.

"Sorry... Mary. Um, hello," I replied, trying to somewhat engage myself in the, admittedly, boring conversation. I didn't enjoy speaking to anyone outside of the people I knew, but Mary seemed a lot like an exception to that rule, what with her friendly smile and so forth.

A light laughter fell from pink lips, soft and welcomed in the depressing atmosphere of worry and tension that plagued my mind. She smiled, rolling her eyes, "It's been a while since I've seen you... You've not been in lessons for, well, a week. Why?" she asked, innocently, her tone warm and joking, her petite fingers messing with a lock of blonde hair, curling it around the digit as she tilted her head in a questioning manner.

"No reason," I replied, my smile mostly genuine. To be fair to Mary, I was quite on-edge, thinking a lot about Sherlock, and what could happen. Though, for reasons that I didn't quite understand, her easy-go attitude was helping to ease my mind a little.

Suddenly, Mary pulled out her phone, gaping at the screen in what looked rather similar to shock. Raising a quizzical eyebrow, I leaned back and started writing, again. A small, shocked laugh stopped me, again.

"You'll never believe this..."

An unintentional eye-roll, "Yes?"

"Molly and Rich have hooked up. They're in Chemistry together, right now," she grinned, laughing openly at the look of confused disbelief in my eyes. "Molly Hooper and Richard, the new guy... Can't remember his last name, Book- no, Brooke."