Chapter 26: Truth

Apologies for the delay, I decided that it would be the perfect inspiration to rewatch Sherlock. Let's see how this chapter turns out. NH

John's P.O.V

We had been back at school for two days, and it had taken far too long to dawn on me that Sherlock's pain went beyond Molly. How did I not see? Of course his pain stemmed from Moriarty, all that he had done to hurt Sherlock. It was understandable, the fear that he held for Molly. Jim was a dangerous boy. The news of Molly's disappearance was global by now, headlines describing it as a 'vanishing act', no trace whatsoever to be found. If that fact alone didn't show how terrifying he was, nothing would.

There was a strong mixture of fear and anger boiling inside Sherlock, I could see it every day; he was questioning his own mind, doubting if he was as clever as he'd always believed. But I think that Sherlock's true fear was of the past. Its unimaginable, the memories that must be seared into that brilliant mind, and for a boy who pretended not to feel, he felt every emotion with an intensity that would have long destroyed even the strongest of men by now.

My thoughts were suddenly disturbed as my phone vibrated in my pocket, pulling me back into reality. I withdrew my phone and couldn't help but feel shocked at the message upon the screen.

I can help you, John. I know where Molly is. IA

There had been no contact from Irene since the day outside the dorm when she prepositioned Sherlock. Amidst everything that had happened since, Magnessun, the Chemistry lab, Molly, I had almost completely forgotten that day. It came as a surprise that she was offering her help, even more so that she knew anything, but with Irene there was almost always a price to pay.

There was no need for an exchange of words, I simply passed Sherlock the phone, and watched as he read the text. Without skipping a beat, Sherlock continued the conversation on my behalf, a calculated look upon his face as he conversed with Irene.

Not John, Sherlock. Why would you help us? SH

Hello, sexy. What a lovely surprise! I have information you need, you have something I want. I'm sure we can figure something out. IA

What do you want? SH

Help with a little problem. I think you know Charles. IA

Dorm, now. SH

Charles? From Mycroft's warnings, this was something that we should definitely avoid. But, it was for Molly, and we had to do something. Authorities had made no progress in the week since she was last seen, every night her family were pleading on news channels for help finding their little girl.

"Sherlock, are you sure about this? It's Irene. The same Irene that... well, you know. If this involves Charles somehow I really don't think we should-" my ramblings were cut short by the loud creak of a door.

"Oh, look at you two! My sexy boys are back," chimed Irene as she strolled into the room, door clicking shut behind her. It was impossible not to notice her beauty; head to toe in lingerie, hidden only by the oversized coat resting on her shoulders.

"No."

"No?" Had I spoken outloud? Considering the way that Sherlock and Irene were both looking at me, I must have.

"Nothing, sorry."

This was always her game. Appeal to the animal instinct within every man and woman she met, using her body and mind to seduce and destroy, making anyone she met a slave unto her, unto their own need for more.

It was a game that I did not want to play.

Glancing over at Sherlock, I could see the confusion on his face. He didn't know her the same way that I did, he was questioning himself for having any physical or emotional response at her presence; this was her forte, manipulating any sliver of weakness for her own gain. A true sociopath.

"What do you know?" Sherlock quiped, his tone reflecting the now complete lack of emotion on his face. This made Irene pout, her crimson painted lips curling downwards in mock offence.

"Now, now. That's no greeting, after all, I am here to help you," she paused as she moved to sit on the edge of the bed, hand drifting across to rest upon Sherlock's knee. He huffed at this unwanted touch, instantly pulling his leg away from her. With a sigh, Irene withdrew her hand, opting instead to rest it on her crossed legs.

"I know Jim. Or rather, I know what he likes. It wasn't hard to get him talking about Molly, he was dying to brag about his perfect plan. However, we all know that this could very well be a trap, so it's up to you both decide whether or not to take that risk," she stopped for a moment, a look of careful deliberation across her face, before uttering one word.

"Appledor."

Sherlock's P.O.V

Of course.

Magnessun.

The boy who always seemed to know far too much, and a family of wealth and power to teach him how to use his cleverness to his absolute advantage.

"I'm sorry, Appledor?" John asked, eyes flitting between myself and Irene as he waited for an answer. It felt wrong to drag John further into the mess, the risk that came with Charles knowing anything about you; despite this, I knew that he would not let it rest, that he would have to be there one way or another.

It was time to tell John the truth.

"Charles Magnessun, the boy who assaulted you in class- he is more powerful than you can possibly imagine, hundreds of people will do exactly as he says because of the knowledge that he possesses. Appledor is rumoured to be where he stores this information, files on everyone he has ever met should he need, or want, to leverage them. His involvement makes the perfect sense. There I was, thinking that Jim had outsmarted me all on his own. No. He had the most dangerous person you'll ever meet helping him, or he was helping Magnessun, who knows. Either way, we know where she is now, we can help her." I hoped we could help her, provided that she were still breathing.

I had almost deleted Irene's entire presence until she stood up, staring at me.

Underneath everything, the lace, lipstick, high heels, her seemingly famous facade, she was scared. In fact, terrified. Somewhere in Appledor, Magnessun had something on her, something that he had used to try and gain control over her.

"You want your file destroyed. That's the only reason you told us, isn't it. If we're going there anyway, might as well solve both of our problems! You're a parasite." I was angry.

She smiled at this. "Of course, Sherlock. It's a transaction. I may have had you flustered initially, but I know that my usual techniques won't work on you. Information, particularly this information, is priceless to you."

"And I assume you've arranged transport?"

Irene chuckled slightly, nodding her head once as she stood and headed for the door. Turning back momentarily.

"Be at the gates tonight at nine."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~