Chapter 4: Holding On

Sherlock's P.O.V

The first week of lessons had been... adequate, but only because I had the good fortune of sitting next to John in both Biology and Physics. The arrangement may have been slight bribery, via a text to my Mycroft indicating that I wouldn't attend lessons unless I was paired with John, but he did owe me after I beat him at 'Operation'. John made the lessons very interesting, and he made sure I completed the work. Sometimes I think he believed himself to be my mother.

I was on my way to Chemistry, and I could hear shouting up a head, echoing in the corridor, along with what sounded like punching, the gruesome sound of bone meeting flesh with a sickening thud.

"We know all about you being a fag. One of the lads from your old school let slip, 'Ooh, did you know John Watson is a FUCKING FAG?!' To think I spoke to something like you."

At the mention of John's name I sprinted around the corner to see five boys whom of which I recognised to be on the football team abusing John. Touching John, hurting him. At this, I felt a fire burn inside.

"GET OFF OF HIM!" I yelled, shoving the largest boy into the locker, pushing another two aside. I looked over John's battered form, cuts and bruises covering his face and arms, blood gushing from his nose and mouth. The bruises were going purple already, some even swelling, and seeing my John so broken made something inside me snap. I stood over the largest boy, noting that I was still a few inches taller than him, and grabbed him by the collar. "Who hit him first?" I growled, the taste of blood on my tongue. From the corner of my eye I could see John wasn't moving other than a slow blink of his eyes infrequently, if it wasn't for that and the small give away of his chest rising and falling slowly, I would think I had lost him.

"What's it to you, Holmes?" At this I slammed him up the locker with as much force as I could, grinning sadistically as he winced in pain.

"I have a brother who is in high places, and rising even higher. He could make your lives very difficult, so I suggest you tell me before I give him a quick call." He pointed to a short but stocky boy who I deduced in a matter of seconds. Knowing I had the perfect leverage, I turned my head his way, my face showing no emotion, just the stone cold face of intimidation and threat.

"Your mother is struggling with her finances after your father ran away with her brother and left her in debt. She has a severe alcohol addiction and uses a number of Class A drugs. She grows cannabis and illegally smuggles drugs. Now, my brother, as I said, is in high places, and he has friends in even higher places, so unless you all do to this guy here what you just did to John, you will all loose your drug supplier and the police will be informed of everything, including your regular theft from the local garages. So, if I were you I'd get a move on, boys."

I released the boy who I'd been pinning to the locker and pushed him towards his friend, who he immediately punched in the face. At this, the others joined in. They seemed to know that I would do exactly as I said I would if they didn't do things properly, and soon the stocky lad was in worse shape than John. They'd loose their supplier now anyway. Idiots.

Lifting John from the floor, I wrapped his right arm around my shoulder and my left arm around his waist, so we could get back to our room. John moaned in protest as he regained consciousness, clearly suffering a great deal, if the sight of his face was anything to go by.

"Shh, John. Not much further now. Don't worry. We will have you all better soon. Look, were back now," I hummed softly, wanting to reassure my conductor of light.

I pushed open the door and helped John to sit on my bed, not trusting him to make it across the room onto his own.

"I'm going to clean you up and check your injuries, then decide if we should go to the nurse."