HEART NO KUNI NO ALEX || 29

Day Seven of being in the Country of Hearts, Wonderland.

My body froze after I woke up and opened my eyes.

This is a ceiling I do not recognise.

Now, I should be panicking, but the smell of tea is in fact really calming. Alright, now I'm panicking. There's only one person in the Country of Hearts that smells like black tea. And I don't like that person, so the fact that I'm sitting in a bed in their house isn't exactly my ideal situation. On the other hand my shoulder (which is now bandaged) feels a lot better. It stung like hell, and the area around it was red and really sore, but I'm the one who willingly charged into an axe and took a hit for someone else, so I can't really complain.

The sound of the door handle being gripped echoed in the silent room and I squeezed my eyes shut again.  

"Brother, we're not allowed in here, remember?"

Ah, that's Dee.

"We'll be quick!" 

Ah, that was an extremely glum sounding Dum.

Then the door opened -- and I was about to release the breath I was holding in -- when suddenly I hear a new voice.

"Boys, what are you doing in here?"

Immediately, I tensed. The air I was holding in got stuck in my throat and I could feel goosebumps appear on my skin. How long has my unconscious body been in the same room as him? Of course, I know he wouldn't do anything like that -- Alice would jump down the hole and kick his ass, once I went home and told her --   but still. God, was he the one who bandaged my shoulder? That meant he saw me topless. Blood was probably judging my nipples. That asshole.

Someone gulped. Loudly. Probably Dum.

"We wanted to see big bro." He sounds so sad and miserable, the poor thing. Poor thing-- he almost sliced my arm off! But then again, it wasn't my arm he wanted to slice. It was Boris's. And not just his arm; the twins probably wanted to hack him to pieces.

"Twins." 

Three heads turned my way. Blood was sitting at a desk, piles of paper stacked in front of him. The twins rushed over to me. Dee was the first to speak. He went to hug me, but then stopped after realising it probably wasn't the best decision.

 Dum simply stared at me. He didn't look me in the eye, however. I could almost see in his eyes that he was replaying the scene of him hitting me over and over in his mind.

Dee unconsciously traced patterns over my palm as he stared at the bandage."A- Are you feeling better, big bro?"  I nodded. "There'll probably be a scar, but other than that, I'm fine right now. A little sore, but otherwise all good."

"I'm sorry." 

Finally, the red twin made eye contact with me. 

Dum fumbled over his words. "I didn't--  I didn't--"

"Were you scared?" I cut him off. He blinked, confused. "What?"

 And so, I repeated myself. Once again, he looked confused. Nonetheless, he nodded. I then explain to Dum why I did it-- Why I jumped in front of the blade.

"The three of you are ridiculous. You were killing innocent people over something so stupid and trivial like a love bite. And before you start jumping on me with the 'oh, it's okay, they're only faceless, they don't have roles' or 'it's alright, they'll be replaced', it's not alright and it is in no way okay. Dum you were shaking when you realised you hit me-- imagine how the orphaned faceless children feel. Their parents are dead. Dead. They're not going to have parents again-- their mother and fathers slots will be replaced with new people. How would you feel if I couldn't come back?"

The Twins breath hitched in their throats.

"Exactly." And then I simply continued to ramble on about how they and Boris were stupid, stupid inconsiderate assholes. Although the entire time I spoke, I could blatantly see them staring at the love bite on my neck -- which had shrunk quite a bit while I was out of it --  and I swear to God, if they weren't listening to a single word I said, I'm gonna burn all of their weapons. All of them.

After what seemed like hours of persuading (and one command from Blood), the twins left.

And then I was alone in the room with Blood. Again.