~28~ The Moderate [a Vampire/Slave story]

Chapter 28

5 months later

HAYDEN POV

I hated this kind of life. Constantly running away from my boyfriend just because of my stupid insecurities, and then trying to stay hidden in the shadows. It just seemed that the light was out to get me and Milton always found me within three weeks.

It was like he knew where I wanted to go next.

I dyed my hair black this time so he couldn't tell it was me in the crowds.

So much for waiting my hair to turn brown.

And I thought he didn't love me anymore? That he wanted to wait and see if I was important enough to him that he would hold on to me for just a while longer.

I checked my Blackberry for any "wanted" people online.

Sure enough, Hayden Couchleur was one of them, and I was #1 in line as the person with the highest reward. If someone found me and turned me in to Milton, they would be rewarded with 2 million dollars.

"Wow, didn't know I was that valuable, Milton," I smirked, and turned the blue phone off.

Did I forget to tell you another thing too?

I was pretending to be a man.

MILTON POV

Hayden ran away from me. Again.

"God damn it, she left in the middle of the night," I told Imperia.

Imperia was in the middle of eating her breakfast.

"Wow, she's got some ninja ancestry in her, doesn't she?" Imperia said, laughing as she swallowed a bite of her finger sandwich. Tom was eating next to her as well, but he was drinking a bowl of soup prepared by our personal chef, who was still in the kitchen with his crew.

Imperia had recovered most of her memory, but there were some minor details that she still didn't remember, like the time I had scared her with the explosion of teddy bears when I was 50 and she was 100ish? I don't remember.

But those didn't matter, what mattered right now was that the Moderate had disappeared as quick as the nighttime once again, for the third time. Who knew where she had gone now, and what she had done to her hair. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be leaving it silver blonde this time.

"Where do you want to start searching for her?" Tom asked, familiar with the routine whenever Hayden disappeared on one of her little games. I shrugged.

"She should still be in Canada. I cut off her Internet and phone use."

"Where's her phone?"

"It should be...right....shit."

"It's gone isn't it, you smartass," Imperia commented. Another thing: After Imperia woke up from her coma, she developed a slight swearing habit that was hard to break.

"Yeah, shit, now she really could be anywhere."

"Why? It's not like she has any money to go anywhere," Imperia pointed out, which was very true, should I say.

"That is right," I agreed. Tom held up a hand.

"But she could have called someone to help her out."

"Chaos?"

"No, I don't think he would help her out this time."

"What do you mean this time?! He never helped her out in the first place," I grumbled, reaching across the table for a bottle of half filled orange juice.