~21~ The Moderate [a Vampire/Slave story]

Chapter 21

(Three years later)

It'd been approximately three years now, and I still hadn't found my brother. I had searched China, Russia, different parts of England, Ireland, Greenland, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Estonia, Australia, and parts of India, but the weather there pissed me off so I left immediately. (the weather in India, she means.) There were many other countries that I visited but I could find no sign of Edge anywhere.

I hadn't heard from Milton for about half a year. He stopped sending me emails and text messages and hand-written letters from about August last year. It didn't quite bother me but still, somewhere inside, I wished that he still remembered me even though I hadn't seen him in twenty four months.

Right now I was in the US. The only countries I had to go were Canada and where I was right now. Having just gotten off a plane, I was sipping on black coffee and taking a smoke.

(A/N: It bothers me that Hayden started smoking but all my characters seem to me, like they're the same and boring so I wanted to do someone different. Don't worry, Hayden is NOT addicted, she's a fucking Moderate! xD And she won't die either since she's not human.)

I tossed the empty coffee cup in the trash and put the cigarette in the public ashtray. I knew it was bad for my lungs but I only had one every week or so, just to get rid of the stress. After a few minutes of walking, I finally spotted my luggage and went over to grab it off the rotation thing that kept moving.

Dragging my rollie suitcase with me, I walked out into the open air. America was pretty damn beautiful, or at least California was.

I might just stay here after I find my brother, I thought contentedly.

I hailed a taxi and the guy that walked out was pretty damn sexy, too. My heart was feeling guilty that I was checking out a guy for the first time in three years but this man was quite a beauty. I was definitely NOT a flirt, though. I never flirted with Milton either in the past, unless it was for a joke.

"Thank you," I said stiffly when he helped me out by putting my suitcase in the trunk of the car.

"No problem," he answered, sending me a genuine sweet look.

"Mhm," I said, shooting the back of his head with a weird look. He was giving me butterflies, like, the bad butterflies, the ones I shouldn't have been having.

"Where to,.....?" he waited for me to tell him my name.

"I'm Hayden," I said normally, trying to keep my voice at its typical volume. My voice was deep but definitely could not pass off for a guy. Maybe I could pass it off for a 13-year-old boy but no older men than that. *wink wink *

"Where do you want to go, Hayden?" he said in his smooth voice.

"A decent hotel," I answered briefly. He nodded in agreement and started the car.

"You're cute, do you have a boyfriend?" he asked, looking at me through the mirror. I folded my arms across my chest, frowning.

"Well, it's complicated," I said, for a short answer.

"Put my cell number in your phone. I'll listen when I have time," he smirked. I took my phone out reluctantly. Everything he did.....reminded me so much of Milton, even though their personalities were entirely different.

"What is it?" I drawled in a bored tone.

"256-1198," he replied. (A/N: I made this up so if it's a real cell number you know, there is no relation between what I made up and that real number. Oh. AND DON'T TRY CALLING IT IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GONNA GET TO TALK TO THAT SEXY TAXI GUY! BAHAHAHA! THAT WOULD BE RETARDED)