~6~ The Moderate [a Vampire/Slave story]

Chapter 6

I rolled over and yawned when I bumped into something hard. A foot.

"Get out, bitch. Milton and I want some alone time," the slut dug her hells into my stomach. I got up and intentionally accidentally bumped into Milton, making him stare after me in confusion.

I retreated to Imperia's room.

"What is it?" Imperia asked when she let me inside. I murmured some explanation about being kicked out of my bed. She didn't understand my gibberish until she heard a thud against the wall.

"Ew. God, I don't even know why he keeps inviting her over when he claims that she's annoying," Imperia said, shrugging her shoulders.

"MILTON!" screamed the hoe from the other room.

"That's it. I'm sick of him and his little bitch." Imperia exploded and marched off to Milton's room. All I heard was mumbling, a crash, and then the rhythmic clicking of Naomi's heels as she walked out of the house. I put my head in the doorway of Milton's room, trying to see if it was okay to come in.

"What do you want, runt?" Milton asked, muffled anger evident in his voice.

"Umm," Words seemed to stop right at my throat. "I umm...emm...bye!" the kitchen was now my refuge as I looked around for a pan to cook some steak in. if you're wondering why I was going to cook meat, I had read Milton's mind and he was hungry for some bloody chicken. Too bad I didn't want to handle chicken.

"Imperia!" I called softly. Milton's sister was beside me at a moment's notice. Her pale blonde hair flowed around her gracefully.

"Yes, Hayden?" she answered in her gentle voice.

"I, umm, need to cook some, ah, steak," I said. Imperia raised an eyebrow but understood my intentions once she read my mind.

"It's in here," she said, opening the refrigerator door and taking a wrapped platic container out.

"Why do you want to be nice to him when he and Naomi kicked you out of your peaceful sleep?" she asked, pausing at the door. I shrugged indecisively.

"I don't know," I responded truthfully. She left it there and exited the room.

A while later, I heard heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. Almost a second after, Milton slammed the kitchen door open.

"What are you doing..?" he asked, sniffing the air suspiciously. I blushed in embarrassment.

"Um, cooking a bloody steak for you?" I answered quietly. Milton shot me a puzzled face but he left the kitchen before he could reply.

"H-h-here!" I stuttered and handed the plate of raw meat to him. He took it and muttered a thank you.

He took a tentative bite and munched slowly. "It's. Umm. Good," he observed. I said nothing as he gobbled the whole thing down.

After dumping his dirty dishes in the sink, Milton walked into the dining room and pulled me up from the chair I was sitting on.

"Make me my meals everyday from now on," he patted my hair and walked back up to his room. I stared after him in fury.

"Don't get mad at him, Hayden. It's you who wanted to cook for him," Imperia reminded me as she passed by me in the hallway.

"But that's the only thing I can cook!" I argued.

"Be creative. Look through a few of the cookbooks that are on the shelves. Mom and Dad are gonna be gone for a month so enjoy it while you can," she replied.

"You don't get it, I wanted, actually, I still want to get out of this prison! I want to buy my freedom and become somebody in the world who can give out something, not just serve dinner. I'm useless to everyone, all because I'm a slave. I can do much more-I have so much to offer, my effort and my time and my patience," I stopped because I was at a loss for words.

"Hayden, you do have a lot o offer. Just wait, things will get better eventually," imperia said. Recognition of the fact she knew something I didn't frustrated me.

"You're saying I have to wait until I'm like 5,679 for something good to happen to me?"

"Possibly." Imperia interjected.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" I yelled, starting to over react.

"Yeah, I just know things, okay? So don't get so obsessed and upset over being a slave. Good things happen to good people," her voice became her usual, quiet, buzzing sound again. I scoffed.

"That doesn't apply to me. Explain my parents. I was separated from them when I was seven. And you know what's so bad about it? I don't know why and how and where! They just disappeared!" I hissed, breathing heavily.

"I'm sorry. What about your brother?" Imperia asked.

"How did you know about my brother?"

"I can read minds when necessary." She explained.

"Oh."

"So tell me about your brother. What happened to him?"

"Well, he was the perfect brother, you know? He was funny and he took care of me when our parents weren't there. And then our parents left. For good. Vampires came and kidnapped us to sell us off as slaves. Skip and I got separated as soon as we were bought by different masters," I paused. "Why do you care so much?"

"I don't know, I'm just really interested in your past. What do you think of Milton?"

IMPERIA'S POV

I secretly noticed Hayden's body language as she tried to think up a vague opinion on Milton. She shrugged defenselessly.

"Nothing? Not that he's good looking, even?" I teased. She shook her head, but it looked more like she was trying to convince herself than me.

"I guess he's a little above average in looks," she finally admitted, turning ten different shades of red. I smirked in victory; I needed to start planning the wedding.

"MILTON! GET DOWN HERE!" I yelled. Then to Hayden, I said, "Go talk to Chaos or something." She nodded and tried to avoid Milton touching her as they passed each other on the stairs.

"What is it?" he scratched his tousled hair in a good-natured fashion. I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest. He was too good looking for his own good. When we were young vampires and still studying in school, I remember a crowd of girls always followed him around during lunch or after class.

"What does Hayden mean to you?" I asked, smiling lopsidedly at his baffled expression.

"Umm, what?" he said, his mouth dropping open a little attractively. Oh who am I kidding, it looked down right retarded.

"How do you feel about Hayden?" I repeated, except using a different approach in my sentence this time.

"I guess, umm, she's my slave?" he trailed off, trying to see where I was going with this.

"Do you think she's attractive?"

"In some ways, yes," Milton mumbled to himself. Then he said to me, "No, not at all."

"Oh. Okay. Sure," I smiled. "You can go now."

He looked at me like I had three heads but I only giggled and motioned for him to go.