~29~ The Moderate [a Vampire/Slave story]

Chapter 29

Kenton High School loomed above me like a dark cloud on a rainy day. I had problems with adjusting to new environments. Then again, everyone had that problem. I pulled open the door of the main office, making the little bell ring pleasantly.

“How can I help you?” the crabby secretary asked me.

“Um, I’m the new student, Michael Owens?” I said uncertainly, unused to the name I was using for the first time today.

“Ah, yes, here’s your schedule and some other flyers, have a good first day,” she said in still a moody tone, which I thought sounded strange compared to her actual words and creepy smile.

“Uh thanks,” I mumbled, and checked the map to locate where my first classroom was. Some people pointed out to me and whispered stuff in their friend’s ears, which made me even more self-conscious than I was already being at the moment.

~

~

~

After second period was a short 20 minute break. I scratched my head and looked around for a bathroom. I wondered what a boys’ bathroom looked like. Obviously I had never been in one before up until now. I decided not to go and just walk around to explore.

“Hey,” a girl with golden hair and dark eyes said shyly. I smiled at her.

“Hi,” I replied, “What’s your name?”

“Samantha Polton. You’re the new kid, Michael Owens, right?” she asked.

“Yes, how do you already know?”

“You’re already famous around the school. All the girls will be grabbing for your attention, so be careful,” she warned, blushing.

“What, do you like me or something?” I asked lightly as a joke. I expected a small laugh but instead was given a huge blush.

“Err, so you do like me?”

“Well, you look really gentle and you’re really nice. You’re not stuck up even though you’re good looking.”

“Oh, thanks, that’s nice of you,” I smiled but when I turned around I made a slight gagging face to myself. If the girls at this school were interested in me there would be a problem. And I still hadn’t figured out how to deal with PE.

“I’ll see you later?” Samantha called out to me as I walked towards the locker rooms.

“Uh yeah, definitely!” I flashed a grin back at her and she giggled, turning red again.

So this is how Milton feels every day, huh? Must be aggravating especially with such an annoying girlfriend like me. Well, at least I broke up with him. It’ll be fine now. And he won’t have to deal with me anymore .

“Heyyy,” a group of guys came up to me. “You’re a cutie.”

“Err, I’m a guy?” I was hoping they knew that “fact” about me.

“Yeah, so, what about it? You’re still cute, it’s hard to believe that you’re a guy. You sure you not a girl? Your body looks like you haven’t even gone through puberty yet. You want to chill with us?” the one who looked most like the leader said. He had blonde hair and light, blue eyes that opened wide and then closed quickly, back and forth, back and forth.

“Sure? What year are you guys in?” I replied.

“All seniors, what about you?” he asked.

“I’m a senior too.”