Chapter Twenty- The Birth Family

(The image won't upload but i really wanted to get this chapter in :))

Third Person pov:

The following day after breakfast (Y/n) met up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione and joined on their walk with Hagrid.

"Hagrid, I think we know who cursed the brooms," Hermione said randomly in the middle of a conversation about food. Hagrid stopped mid-sentence and stared at the girl.

"What?" He asked.

"We think Snape cursed their brooms," she said.

"Correction, they think Snape cursed the brooms," (Y/n) said, fed up with her friends' theories.

"Nonsense. Why would Snape put a curse on Harry and (Y/n)'s brooms? Especially since (Y/n) is... ya know..." The four Gryffindors stopped and the blank stares from them were enough of an answer for Hagrid to know that he was not supposed to say that. "I shouldn't have said that... I should not have said that."

"Hagrid. Tell me what you know. Now," (Y/n) said through gritted teeth. Ever since she started at Hogwarts, every teacher has been acting weirder around her.

"Say, (Y/n), isn't your birthday in a few days?" Hagrid asked, trying to get off of the current topic. (Y/n) sighed, coming to the fact that she wasn't getting anything out of Hagrid. Hagrid, no, but Dumbledore or McGonagall, maybe. Hagrid started walking again and the four of them followed.

"Yeah, November 6."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Hermione asked.

"I feel really bad when people buy me gifts. My family's not really the... umm... most wealthy."

"Yeah even at home she never really talked about it," Ron chimed in.

"I don't feel so good, I'm gonna head back to the tower." Without waiting for a response she turned around and speed-walked towards the moving stairs. It's been long enough to know how to get to McGonagall's room by heart, with all of their tea and biscuit days. After going up a few flights of stairs, the young girl found herself outside of her favorite Professor's room.

Since it was Sunday, no classes were in session, so (Y/n) walked right in and up the stairs and in front of her office. She knocked on the large wooden door before here and hoped she would be in there. To her delight, the Transfiguration professor opened right up.

"Oh my, did we schedule tea for today? I must've forgotten, I was grading papers." McGonagall asked after letting the young girl inside.

"No, Professor, I was just wondering if Professor Dumbledore was around? And if I could go up and see him?" (Y/n) took a seat at the round table and McGonagall took a seat across the table.

"And why might you need him?" The Professor questioned.

"I... uh... I wanted to ask if he knew anything about my family." McGonagall tensed up at the request and then let out a sigh.

"There are things, my dear, that we can't yet discuss with you. There are things you wouldn't understand and questions we don't know how to answer." The answer put a frown on the young girls face.

"I understand," (Y/n) said quietly and stood up to leave.

"However, if you wish to ask Professor Dumbledore about it," the professor let out another long sigh, "I will take you to his office." The frown on (Y/n)'s face disappeared and a smile soon replaced it.

"Thank you, professor," she said. McGonagall gave a slight smile and stood up. (Y/n) followed her out of her office and classroom and through the corridors. They stopped in front of an eagle with its wings curved forward.

"Step in and it will take you to his office." (Y/n) did as she said and waited. "Lemon drop." The eagle started turning and steps were formed. (Y/n) stepped on the first one and the eagle kept turning which brought her to the entrance to Dumbledore's office. There were two large wooden doors at the entrance where she stood.

Before entering, she knocked twice on the doors. After the second knock, they opened to Dumbledore's large office. He was sitting at his desk looking over papers but looked up at the girl upon her entrance.

"(Y/n), hello." The girl looked around the large room and stared in awe at everything she saw.

"Good afternoon Professor Dumbledore," she said and walked up the four steps and in front of his desk.

"Take a seat." She sat in a chair in front of his desk. "What brings you here to me? I trust Professor McGonagall was the one who sent you up?"

"Yes, sir. I wish to ask you about my family. My birth family." The headmaster's eyebrows furrowed together with his eyes squinted.

"And what about them?"

"Well, I don't even know who they are."

"Do you know why you were never told anything about your family, (Y/n)?" Dumbledore leaned forward in his chair. The girl shook her head no. "And do you know why I cannot tell you such things?"

"I assume it's because it may be dangerous information for me to know?"

"Smart girl, you are, you would've made a brilliant Ravenclaw. I can only tell you little, or else you will become a target. Your grandmother, you see, was a Ravenclaw. Back when the headmaster was Professor Dippet and I was only the Transfiguration teacher."

"My grandmother, is she dead?"

"For twelve years."

"What about my mother? What can you tell me about her?"

"Your mother... I don't even know where to begin. As I said, there is only so little I can tell you. Your mother was one of the brightest witches of her age, much like Mr. Potter's mother, Lily. Best of friends those two were." Dumbledore smiled in remembrance of two of the kindest witches he's met. "I suppose showing you a picture couldn't hurt."

He stood up from his desk and walked up the stairs behind him and came back a few moments later with a large album titled Your Favorite Gryffindors to Walk This Planet (ps James came up with the title).

"She was a Gryffindor?" (Y/n) asked after reading the title.

"One of the bravest there has been." Dumbledore settled himself back in his chair. He began to flip through the album and (Y/n) could've sworn she saw a tear or two stream down his cheek. From his reaction, it was almost confirmation that her mother was also deceased.

"She's dead, isn't she?" Her eyes lowered to her lap.

"Yes, but (Y/n), she died a hero. That's another story for when you're older. Ahh, here's a good photo of her and Lily." He took out the picture from its socket in the album and gave it to the young girl. It was of the two of them laughing while sitting down across from each other. (Y/n)'s mother was on the right and Lily was on the left. Her mother looked almost like an exact replica of (Y/n) except (Y/n)'s hair was slightly darker. Other than that, it would be easy to mix the two up.

"What was the caption for this?"

"The caption was 'should've been studying'." (Y/n) gave him back the picture and he put it in its rightful socket.

"What was her name?"

"That I can't tell you. The risk is too high."

"What about my father? Is he alive?" Dumbledore leaned back in his seat and stayed silent a moment.

"Yes."