Chapter 1

She holds her breath at the beautiful sight. 

Standing near the blue water, she looks at the beautiful cave-like houses that have the Grecian colors--white and blue.  She learned that Greeks call it ‘Yposkafa’.  She wants to pinch herself because she might still be dreaming.  Santorini, Greece is the place where her parents met.  She has dreamt of being in this place.  She remembered looking at this place on the Internet--wished that she would be here.

Now that she is finally there, no words can describe her feeling.  She is standing on the same land and breathing the air that her parents once breathed.  It brings a sense of nostalgia in her. 

She is here for one sole reason—to see her mother.

“Santorini, I want to take you there someday…” Ang mga katagang naiwan sa kanya ng mama niya.  She misses her mother very much.  Remembering her dark brown hair and her hazel eyes—characteristics that she inherited.  Ito rin ang dahilan kung bakit siya pumunta sa Santorini.  Gusto niyang hanapin ang mama niya at bigyang kasagutan ang mga tanong niya.  She wants to know her reason for leaving and her reason for breaking her father’s heart.

Being in that place also brought back the hurtful memories that she had with her parents.  They met here, in Oia, Santorini.  It was love at first at first sight with them.  Her papa was captivated by her mom’s hazel eyes.  Nagpropose agad ito ng kasal sa mama niya pero tutol ang lolo niya.  Her father is a Xenos—a foreigner and a lowly sea fearer.  But her mom insisted and she wanted to be with her father.  Kaya naglakas loob itong makipagtanan at sumama sa papa niya pauwi ng Pilipinas.  At dahil doon, itinakwil siya ng pamilya niya sa Greece.

She remembered how happy her parents were when she was seven years old.  Mahal na mahal ng mga magulang niya ang isa’t-isa.  Her mother adored her father and he worshipped her.  Pero nagbago ang lahat noong sampung taong gulang siya.

“Moira!”  Tawag ng kanyang Thia Elena.  Siya ang matalik na kaibigan ng mama niya.  Isa din itong Griyego at naging malapit sa kanilang magkapatid lalo na noong iniwan sila ng kanilang mama.  Palagi itong sumusulat at gumagabay sa kanila noong namatay ang papa at naulila silang dalawa ng ate niya.

“Thia Elena, are we there yet?”  Malapit na magtakip silim ng makarating sila ng Greece.  Ayaw niyang abutan sila ng gabi dahil wala na siyang makikita pag madilim na.  Iniayos niya ang salamin niya bago pa sila nagpatuloy sa paglalakad.

“No, but we are close.”  Her aunt looks at her pale face.  “Are you all right?”  Her pronunciation of ‘r’ is very influenced by her mother tongue.

“Yes, thia.  My back hurts, but I am okay.” Pinipilit niyang huwag hawakan ang likod niya dahil nag-uumpisa na naming kumirot ito. 

“Your back hurts—and you are wearing spectacles.  You are just twenty-five,” Natatawang sabi ng thia niya.