CHAPTER 4 - A Promise

“Is the new student your girl, Jiro?” Picaro, one of the Black Dragons, asked.

“No”, he replied with disinterest while looking out of the window. The Black Dragons were hanging out in their turf and everyone is curious as to who Dara is. Unfortunately, Jiro is not the type to talk. Picaro is still eyeing him curiously when the door opened, revealing one of their gang members, named Bonsai, who is now sporting a Mohawk hairstyle. Everyone knew it’s for added height but nobody dared to comment; knowing how touchy Bonsai is when it comes to that topic.

“Did you guys see our new class schedule for this semester? We still have two vacant hours until our next class. Should we go somewhere?” Bonsai asked. Everyone cheered in agreement and headed towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Picaro asked when Jiro suddenly turned upon reaching the door and started walking on the other direction.

“Class”, he replied simply.

Bonsai furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and glanced at Picaro. “But we don’t have class until-”

“I changed my schedule”, Jiro swung his bag over his shoulders and continued walking, not offering an explanation to his gang who are left dumbfounded on their spot.

***

Dara’s POV

Being stared at amidst the students’ murmurs became an everyday occurrence for me in InterSAT. It is quite obvious they are talking about me again because Jiro turned into a super monster the other day and beat the crap out of the guy named Hawk. *Sigh* I honestly don’t want to be part of this madness but it looks like my association with Jiro has already catapulted me to the kind of fame that I have never dreamed of.

While Namee and I were walking towards our next class, we came across Arden Lee, or Bullet, whatever. He was looking at me while smirking creepily, as though he can see through me. I immediately averted my gaze and pretended to talk to Namee. I don’t like looking at Bullet’s eyes. It makes me feel like he can see my vagina. Fortunately, he’s not in our class today.

“Is Ice Lord going to walk you home again?” Namee asked, her cheeks pushing up as she smiled at me teasingly.

“Namee…” I said in warning tone. Her campaign to get me and Jiro together boggles my mind. I have told her a million times that we’re not in any way romantically linked but she always dismisses my arguments. “I told you, Jiro and I are not-”

“I still can’t forget the way he rescued you, Dara! He was so cool! And…”

Oh my gosh. She’s not stopping, is she? I groaned and slumped my shoulders in defeat as Namee continued to move her mouth and spout some more nonsense. I have already mastered the ancient art of turning off her voice in my mind so I can continue to live in peace.  I was just thinking how I could go on with my student life in ‘peace’ when a body was hurled in front of me. I screamed in fright and took a few steps back as the brawl turned into a massive gang fight.