Chapter 4:

(Charlotte’s POV)
(short chapter)

Carlisle had calmed me down from my almost panic attack for meeting his family. We near the kitchen and I hope and pray that they like me even though I’m a shifter and I probably smell to them as they probably do to me.

“Hello dear, I’m Esme,” Esme said in a calming motherly tone to me. She went back to cooking pancakes.

“Good morning Esme, I’m Charlotte. Not to be rude or anything, but are you cooking those for me since I know you don’t eat human food?” I nervously said as rubbed the back of my neck.

“Yes, Charlotte. Honey, I never got to be the mother I had wanted to be so I act like a mother to these five children. When I got pregnant my baby died after labor and I jumped off of a cliff to be with my baby in heaven, and Carlisle found me and had changed me.”

As she was telling her story I had started to cry and I chocked out “Oh Esme, no mother that is so deserving of a child should be deprived of a little blessing like that”.

“Thank you for saying that Charlotte. Can I call you Char?” Esme asked.

“Esme you don’t even need to ask that question. Of course, you can,” I said. That had brought a smile to Esme’s face.

We had continued with introductions and I had learned their stories besides Carlisle’s.

“Esme thank you so much for the pancakes. Was this the first time you guys used this amazing kitchen?” I questioned.

“Your welcome, and yes this is the first time we had used the kitchen,” Esme answered.

“Esme we are going to be great friends,” I said.

Esme said, “Yes we are Char.”

I had finished my delicious pancakes and Esme had taken my plate and washed it and put it away by the time I could blink. Carlisle came back to the kitchen to collect me for the tour of the house and his story.

We had finished the tour and went to his room when he told his story and said,

“Charlotte, I was born around the 1600s since nobody kept the time well I don’t know the exact year, and yes I’m over 300 years old in the body of a 23-year-old. My father would hunt and accuse people of being vampires when they were just ordinary human beings and he would burn them at the stake. He would lead the hunts and sometimes I would tag along, and soon he was too old to lead the hunts and I would lead them. The one day I had led a hunt and we had found real vampires in a sewer underground they ran out and started killing us. One of them bit me, and I crawled into a potato cellar for three days in excruciating pain for the change to end. Once the change had finishes I had tried everything to kill myself like starving, drowning, jumping off cliffs, and etc. One day a deer came in front of the cave I resided in and I couldn’t take the hunger any longer, so I bit the deer along with draining it of its blood supply and found another way to live without killing humans. I gained control of my bloodlust and got to be the doctor I am today without my family and I draining humans as most vampires do.”

“You are one amazing person Carlisle don’t let anyone tell you otherwise,” I said.

“Thank you Charlotte,” he said.