CHAPTER 8 : Hot Chocolate

I Didn't Know I Loved Him (Until He Showed Me)

Chapter 8 : Hot Chocolate

"Why weren't you at school yesterday?" he asked, getting my attention. I looked at him and he was looking back at me with a worried expression. I took a sip of my hot chocolate and sighed with satisfaction. We were at a small coffee shop that barely had any people.

"Oh...um, Ethan's mom thought it was best for me to stay home and rest," I said and looked away from him, not wanting to look into those piercing, blue eyes.

"You were sick?"

"Uh...not exactly?" I said but it sounded unsure.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I had a minor concussion.." I trailed off, not wanting to say anything else.

"Are you alright?" he said and I tried so hard not to melt. His deep voice and his accent made every word he would said a little bit more seductive. I nodded and took a sip of my hot chocolate.

"How did you get a concussion?" he asked and that question made me look at him. He was staring at me and his face was etched in worry.

"I...uh...fell down the stairs?"

Crap, I was never a good liar. I rubbed my cheek with the back of my hand and my eyes widened when I realized that I removed some of the makeup I used to cover up the bruise. Mr. Sm-I mean Justin looked at me worriedly and touched my cheek.

"How did you get that? It looks really bad," he said and caressed my cheek. I wanted to sigh but I held it back.

"I fell down the stairs, remember?"

"Seriously, Hayley, what happened?

"My...uh...mom hit me."

"WHAT?!" he screamed and stood up from his chair. I tugged on his arm, panicked, and he sat back own reluctantly.

"What?!" he said quietly this time. I just nodded and pulled my hand away from him. "She hit you?" I nodded and looked away, not letting the tear fall.

"I'm sorry about my reaction but that's how you got a concussion?" he asked, now sounding worried. I nodded again and took a sip of my hot chocolate to try to stop the tears from falling. The next thing he did, I didn't expect. He hugged me. I was frozen at first but then slowly wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Does she hit you a lot?" he asked. I nodded, letting the tears fall freely.

"You need to do something," he said and wiped the tears off my cheek with his thumb.

I wanted to pull away but I couldn't, I felt like there was this connection between us and I didn't care if he was my teacher or not. He didn't say anything and I was assuming that he was waiting for me to say something. I nodded and looked at him. He looked beyond worried.

"I sh-should get h-home," I stuttered and he nodded. He picked up his coffee and handed me my hot chocolate and we walked out to his car.

"Thanks, Justin," I said, letting his name roll off my tongue.

"No problem," he replied and grinned at me. I was right about to get out of his car when a hand gripped my wrist. I looked back at him and raised an eyebrow. He looked like he was going to say something but he decided against it. He shook his head and said,

"Never mind." He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"See you tomorrow, Mr. Smith," I said and stepped out of his car.

"See you, Ms. Moore," he called mockingly and drove away.

**********

"HAYLEY! Get your skinny ass down here!" Mom screamed from downstairs and I didn't waste any time. I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. She was sitting at the table with, eating dinner. I eyed the food hungrily and she didn't seem to notice.

"Yes, m-mom," I stuttered. "You went to the tutor today, right?" she asked me.

"Yes," I said quietly.

"Good." I took this time to ask her about this weekend.

"M-mom," I mumbled.

"What now?!" she screamed. I blinked a few times then looked at her.

"I'm going to babysit my friend's daughter so I'm not going to be home for the weekend..." I trailed off.

"And? I don't give a shit about where you are and what you're doing as long as you keep your grades up!" she screamed and walked over to me to slap me. I expected that. I ran back upstairs and sat down on my bed.

"Doesn't she have a heart?" I asked myself.

I wiped a tear that had managed to fall and sighed. I changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top. I tied my hair into a messy bun and opened the window. It was pretty cold but knowing that I'd end up in Ethan's bedroom, I didn't care. I slipped out and jumped onto the branch that was sticking out of the tree and wasn't too far from my window. I held on to it and looked down, it must've been 2 floors above the ground. I started crawling to the trunk of the tree and when I reached it, I wrapped my arms around it and went around it to the branch that was on the opposite side of the tree. It was branch that was leading to Ethan't window. The tree was really convenient for the both of us; we could just sneak into each other's bedrooms at night and nobody would ever know.

I tapped on the window and I saw him turn around. He didn't seem to notice. A shiver went down my spine as the cold wind blew. I tapped on the window again but this time louder. He turned around and I almost laughed a his face. His eyes were wide and he had his mouth hanging wide open. I let out a chuckled and waved. He shook his head and jogged to the window. He opened the window and helped me in.

"Hayles, what's up?" he asked as he set me down on my feet. I shivered again and wrapped my arms around myself tightly, still feeling the chill from outside.

"You must be freezing, it's cold out tonight," he said and engulfed me in a big hug. I could feel his warmth around me and I sighed. I wrapped my arms around him to get warmer. I inhaled his familiar mixed smell of Axe and mint.

"So, what you doing here?" he asked when we were on his bed. I was on my side and he was on his side.

"No reason really, just wanted to drop by."

"What did you do today? I saw you a car drop you off but I didn't see who was driving."

"Tutor after school with Mr. Smith," I muttered and pulled myself closer to him to get warmer. He wrapped his arms around me and I could feel his warmth again. I waited for him to say anything else but when he didn't, I took that as a cue to fall asleep.

{I was going to stop here but I wanted to give you guys a look at what Ethan's thinking.}

[Ethan's POV]

I watched her as she slept. Even though she was asleep, she didn't look peaceful. She looked pained. I kissed her forehead and whispered, "I love you." Her face looked less pained but she was still shaking in my arms. That's what I noticed whenever she slept, she shook with fear. Even though she never said it, she always had nightmares. I figured that out when she'd sleep over. I sighed and held her close to me, not wanting to let go. Why couldn't she see that I love her? I've loved her ever since I first saw her. When I saw her looking so fragile and hurt, I couldn't stand but feel like I needed to protect her.

That Smith dude has nothing on me! I am so much hotter than him and maybe he's older and maybe he's British but I've known Hayley for years. We've been best friends and I've loved her all this time but she doesn't know it. It fucking hurts me and that's why I'm a player. I thought that maybe if I slept with other girls, it would make her jealous but it doesn't even phase her. And if she was jealous, maybe she'd want me.

I'm whipped.

__________

Finally! I'm uploading after a fews. HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I know I'm late :P But seriously, I've been real busy. So just as a late Halloween treat, I uploaded the next chapter!!! :)

I'm so tired so Imma just shut up and go. :P

VOTE, COMMENT, BECOME A FAN!!! :)

Thanks for reading!

Less than three! <3