CHAPTER 38: Devastated

I Didn't Know I Loved Him Until He Showed Me 

Chapter 38: Devastated

Today was the day that I'd be moving out of the  hospital and moving in with Ethan's family. His mom and another doctor had done a check on my spine and they said that it was fine and that I could go. Eth and Elli had packed all my clothes at my house and moved it to their house. We had packed all my stuff in the hospital room and we were now on the way to his house. When we arrived, I looked at our house and found my mom's car in the driveway. I sighed and hopped out of the car. I groaned as my back muscles stretched. "You okay?" Eth asked. "Yeah, just a bit sore," I told him. He put a hand to my back and started rubbing. "You should get that checked out," Elli said. "I"ll check it later, if you want." I nodded and said, "Okay." "Good," Eth muttered and took my bag from me. Eth and Elli took my bad from me and carried them into the house. 

"So, you can stay in the guest room or my room," Eth said. "The bathroom's just down the hall upstairs and you're free to do anything you want in the house," Elli added. "Yeah, just feel at home," Eth told me. "Okay. Thanks again, you guys," I said to them. After that, we got all my stuff settled in Ethan's room and it felt like I was in my own home again. 

[A Few Weeks Later] 

I was sitting at the window with my favorite book in my hand when I heard a deep rumble of an engine outside. I looked out and saw a black hummer. A man in a military suit came out and I put my book down. "Dad," I whispered and stood up. I quickly skipped out the door and I heard Eth call after me. The man was at my door and my mom had already answered. I slowed down and watched as they talk. My mom screamed and she fell to her knees. She started sobbing and the man kept apologizing. I felt my heart drop into my gut and I stopped breathing. 

My mom's eyes met my own and she stood up. "You! This is your fault!" she screamed and ran to me. I stopped walking and she sent a punch right into my jaw. I fell on my back and I grunted as a shock ran up my spine. "You did this!" she screamed at me and tried to send a kick into my gut but the man pulled her back. "Stop!" he screamed. Eth came to my side and helped me up. Mom kept screaming threats at me and blaming me as the man held her back. "Stop it!" Ethan said to her. She was now screamed at the both of us with tears screaming down her face. 

"Let go of me!" she screamed at the man. He slowly and reluctantly let go of her and she stomped in front of me. "I hate you. You're the reason my daughter and husband are dead. You should be dead instead of them! You are not my daughter and you will never be!" she screamed and ran back into the house. Those words was like a knife to my heart and I held my breath. I could feel the tears threatening to spill from my eyes. "Hayles, are you okay?" Eth asked me. I nodded and swallowed. "How's your back?" he asked. "It's fine," I whispered. "Hayley?" the man asked me and I nodded. "You're Anthony's daughter?" he asked. I nodded again. "Can we go inside?" he asked and gestured to the house. Ethan and I nodded and we made our way to the house. With every move I made, my back ached in protest. Ethan noticed this and he kept asking if I was okay. I told him yes but I knew something wasn't right.

When we were in the house, we sat down on the couch. Ethan and I sat across from the man. "I am Sergeant Bill Walters. I was in the stationed with your father," he explained. "Where is he? How is he?" I asked him nervously. He looked down at the floor and when he looked back up, I knew it wasn't gonna be good news. "I'm sorry but he was killed in action," he said. The tears finally spilled out and I couldn't hold them in anymore. "No," I cried and dropped my head in my hands. Sobs racked my body and I felt Ethan pull into his chest. I held onto him like he was the only thing that kept me living. 

"I''m terribly sorry," he said again. He said and sat up straight. I didn't even wipe my tears away since I knew more would be coming. "Did you get his body?" I asked. I wanted to give him a proper burial. "No, we didn't. Unfortunately, he died in the hands of the terrorists and they disposed of his body. We were not able retrieve it," he said. I whimpered and I looked down at my feet. "I am truly and deeply sorry for loss. Anthony was a great friend of mine and he told me a lot about you. He said that if something were to happen to him, his possessions would go to you and your mother. We would have to take a look at his will though," he stated. I nodded and thanked him. "I'm sorry for asking but is your mother always like that? Does she always hit you?" he asked. I shook my head while Ethan said yes.