CHAPTER 31: Blast From the Past

I Didn't Know I Loved Him Until He Showed Me 

CHAPTER 31: Blast From the Past 

[Ethan's POV] 

"5 more minutes," I groaned when someone was shaking me awake. I heard someone chuckle. "You were always so lazy when you had to get out of bed," Elliot chuckled. I opened my eyes and rubbed the sleep from them. I looked down and Hayley was still asleep on me. I shifted into a more comfortable position and moved her closer to me. "Move her legs," Elliot told me to do. I gave him a questioning look but did it anyway. "Why?" I asked and he looked at Hayley. He explained to me that since her legs were paralyzed, she couldn't move them and staying in the same position for too long would cause pain. "Oh, okay," I said and I ran my fingers through her soft hair. "Hm," she moaned and snuggled closer to me. We waited to see if she would be waking up but she didn't. "So, what are we gonna tell her when she wakes up?" I asked Elliot. "The truth," he answered. "How do you think she'll react?" I questioned and he shrugged. "Well, she might be shocked at first but we'll help her through it," he said. I nodded. It was a lot to take in for Hayley. We have to tell her that she's been in a coma for almost 5 months and that she can't move her legs. I'd be scared shitless if I were in her shoes. I kissed the side of her head and wrapped my arms around her. "Have you told Seth and Leah that she's awake?" I asked and he nodded. "Yeah, they said they'd come later," he told me. "What time is it?" I inquired. "It's around 3 AM," he answered. "Why'd you wake me up? I was resting," I groaned and threw my head back. "What? You don't wanna talk with your brother?" he asked, sitting on the sofa. "It's not like that but why at 3 AM in the morning?" I muttered. He shrugged. "I got bored," he said. "Uh, whatever," I retorted. I tried to go back to sleep but Elliot started talking again. "Do you think she'll let us report her mom now?" he asked. I opened one of my eyes and looked at him. He was lying down on the sofa with his arms behind his head, looking up at the ceiling. "I honestly don't know," I whispered. He sighed. 

[Hayley's POV] 

I woke up to a bright light shining in my face. I opened my eyes and saw that the blinds were opened. I yawned and tried to stretch my toes but I remembered that for some reason I couldn't move them. I sighed. I let my arms drop and I rested my head on Ethan's chest. Ethan! I looked up at him and I was about to wake him up but he looked so peaceful. I put my arms around him and pulled myself closer to him. I looked around the room and Elliot was sprawled out on the sofa, asleep. He looked a bit younger with his mouth slightly opened. I smiled at him and started drawing random shapes on Ethan's chest. I could feel his hard body against my side. I sighed happily. Despite all of the problems, I actually felt peaceful. I was too comfortable in Ethan's arms and not being able to move my legs also made me not even try to get up. I started humming a song I remembered hearing on the radio. I think it was "The Only Exception" by Paramore. I fell in love with that song from the first time I heard it. I continued to trace shapes on his chest and at some point, he started stirring. "Oh, hey, you're awake," he whispered. "Hi," I greeted. My voice was hoarse and my throat felt dry. "Elliot," Ethan called and he woke up with a jolt. "Yeah, what?" he asked, rubbing his eyes. "Get Hayley some water," he told him and he nodded. "Hey, Hayles! How you feeling?" he greeted me as he poured some water into a glass from a pitcher. "I'm okay," I whispered. I tried clearing my throat but it hurt. He passed me the glass and I took it from him. I put the glass to my lips and drank as much water as I could. 

"Do I wanna know?" I asked. Ethan was playing with a strand of my hair and Elliot was sitting at the foot of my bed. I was sitting in between both of Ethan's legs and my back was against his chest. "Well, where do you want us to start?" Elliot asked. He didn't seem too happy talking to me about it. I shrugged. "Hayley, about that time in your bedroom, I'm so sorry for leaving you. I regret doing it. This is all my fault," Ethan explained and I hit his chest with the back of my head. "Ow," I muttered and he chuckled. "Ethan, it's okay. I don't blame you at all," I told him. I felt him kiss the back of my head and he wrapped his arms around me. "So, can anyone please explain to me what happened?" I asked. Elliot sighed. "Hayley, how can you be so happy during a time like this?" he groaned and I smiled at him. "I don't know, it's so weird. I feel so tired but I feel like I've slept too much," I told them. Elliot scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, about that, you've been in a coma for 5 months," he said slowly. I gaped at him. "A-are you serious?" I asked and he nodded. "All of your Christmas gifts, Valentine's Day gifts and all that are on that table," Ethan said and pointed at the table. I looked at it and there was a mountain of colorful boxes, stuffed toys and vases of flowers. A tear ran down my cheek and Ethan rapped his arms around me and kissed my cheek. "Wh-who are all those from?" I asked and looked at him. He used his thumb to wipe away the stray tear. "From friends, family, people from school, everyone. We all care about you," he said. I put a hand over my mouth and more tears fell down my face.