~07~

~°°°~

~°°°~

Sohee expressed a dazed expression as the maids dashed in, preparing the table with food. As she was in the dark green dining room, she looked out of a glass window, the sky the colour of rubies, a darker shade than it was two hours ago. The long dining table was made out of glass, the shards of blue forming a fire symbol in the center. Sohee's mouth watered because laid out around the fire symbol was a magnificent feast. Coronation chicken salads, marinated lamb kidneys, various kinds of rare fruits cut in shapes, white caviar, sungold carrot soups sprinkled with coconut powder, rice mixed with bloodred chilly paste, chocolate mousse, soft cheesecake and a bloodred grapefruit consommé.

There were atleast seven people who Sohee didn't recognize, sitting at the table next to their daughters. Seeing them chatter excitedly made her stomach churn, wishing she had someone to call her mother or father. But this wasn't like any other family dinner. Suppose, everyone assumes family dinners are supposed to be friendly and fun? For Sohee it was none of those. She kept getting strange looks from the high nobles as if they were hunting for her flaws, ready to pull her down any moment—

"Since we're settled down, let me introduce you my sixth wife, Jung Sohee." Hoseok stood up, his eyes on his guest.

Later that evening Sohee learned that both of Kisum's parents were the ones in charge of the underworld cities while Miri's mother and father owned all schools where they teach demons and other underworld creatures. Sakura's mother worked as a steward in Hoseok's castle (even though Sohee swore she never saw her anywhere in there). Taena's father, led the underworld guards throughout battles as Miyoung's mother was a garden keeper.

"Your Highness, may I ask where Mistress Sohee's parents are?" Sakura's mother asked. She had her lips drawn into a thin smile, not the good kind.

Hoseok cleared his throat. "Why don't you ask her by yourself? It's not my place to answer."

"They're dead." Sohee answered immediately, stuffing her mouth with heart shaped dragon fruit. Despite tasting so many delicious food, her instincts told she should leave. It was very uncomfortable, getting dirty looks from the higher ones, even Miyoung's mother, who appeared to be kind at first sight, didn't seem to be fond of Sohee.

"This young lady is not a good match for someone like you, your Highness." Kisum's mother spoke.

Talk about your own, thought Sohee.

Then the older woman continued. "Look at my daughter for example, she's wonderful and I was wandering when will you two have children. Even Kisum feels prepared to be a mother."

"I think Miri fits better as a mother." A deep voice echoed through the hall. Miri's father shared a smirk with his wife and shifted his gaze towards the Lord, who didn't have the slightest intention of having little demons running around in his castle. Especially little annoying ones.