Closer to Home

Kyle beamed at Emily as he stood in front of her door, a tray of brownies in one hand and a suitcase in the other. He reached out to hug her but the door immediately shut in his face.

"OW", scowled Kyle. A moment later the door opened again and Emily sighed.

"So this isn't a dream, is it?" She said drily.

"If it's a dream, I hope we never wake up," flirted Kyle. Emily promptly began to shut the door but Kyle blocked it.

"Aw, let me in would you? Butler Lafayette sent some contractors to renovate my dorm room and it might take a while," said Kyle.

Emily rolled her eyes and chided, "you're renovating the school dorm room? How long do you plan on staying here anyway?"

"As long as I like," grinned Kyle cheekily. "I can't wait to wake up every morning next to you."

"Jeez, Kyle. If you're going to stay here, you're going to have to follow the rules," said Emily. She sighed as she wrapped her brain around this situation. This is gonna be a long night.

Kyle rolled his suitcase in and sat by her dining table. He gave her an innocent smile as he studied her room.

"Not much has changed since I last visited, huh?"

She sat across the table as she tapped her finger rapidly. "No it hasn't," she said through gritted teeth. "Why exactly are you here?"

"Long story," said Kyle. "Want a brownie? Butler Lafayette helped me make them. There's walnuts or Oreos."

Emily grabbed an Oreo brownie, and nearly melted. "These are delicious. What're you gonna do without butler Lafayette around?" Asked Emily. "How did you even get a room here?"

"I called the VP," said Kyle. "These dorms are used for any student in need, right? And I'm in need right now."

Emily stood up and paced around the room. "First things first, you cannot drink in the dorm rooms. Opposite genders are not allowed to be in each other's rooms past 3 AM. You are not allowed to do any drugs in the dorm. You cannot hang any Christmas lights or light any candles. You have to clean your own room. Your furniture cannot be damaged or stolen."

"Okay, Okay," said Kyle. "I get it. Moving on, what's your favorite movie? I packed my projector so we can Netflix and chill. You can interpret chill however you like."

"I don't have time to stare at a screen for two hours," said Emily. Yet two seconds later, they sat on the foot of her bed watching Finding Nemo.

"Idiot." muttered Emily through a mouthful of popcorn.

"Who, Nemo?"

"No, you," said Emily irritably. "Did you hate your dad's new dog to the point that you leave the house?"

"Yep. She's a real b*tch," he scowled as he gobbled down some popcorn.

"No swearing on school grounds," warned Emily.

He laughed. "Guess that's a habit I'm going to have to fix now that I live here. Anyways Ems, shouldn't you be elated about this?"

"About what?" Emily asked sarcastically. "That I gotta babysit you from my home as well? Do you even know how to clean a room by yourself?"