Chapter 141: Only Time Will Tell

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 141: Only Time Will Tell

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

A knock on the door pulled him from his thoughts. He motioned to the door with his hand, and it opened. He knew it wasn't a student because they wouldn't dare come there during his private time. He frowned when Lupin came in, but the worst part was that he wasn't alone. He grimaced when Potter and Miss Weasley entered. Tonks was the final one that entered and she closed the door behind her.

For some reason they'd developed a fixation with coming here. At least all of them were respectful when they did so.

"Hello," Harry said, his voice was slightly hesitant even though their relationship since the Dark Lord's death had turned much more cordial.

"At this rate my living quarters is going to become the Gryffindor common room," he said.

He stood. As soon as he was on both of his feet, he offered his hand to Hermione. Hermione took his hand and stood.

"Don't worry, Severus, I won't let them decorate your quarters like a gold and red Christmas ballroom," Tonks said. She looked around. "But some nice yellow and black. . ."

Severus pursed his lips. "At least it contains black."

All of them took a seat on his sofa and he made his way to the pair of green chairs. He sat down in the left one. Hermione sat to his right.

He summoned for some tea and when they all were served, Hermione said, "What are all of you doing here? You know Severus and I are dealing with the mail at these hours."

"That has something to do with why we're here. This is more discreet and it's an easier time to catch Snape," Lupin answered, earning a glare from him.

"You all know when my free time is, so just admit you find the dungeons cozy," he said flatly, earning a laugh. He leaned back in his chair. "What do you need?"

"Well..." Potter said. "Um..."

"We've been through this, Potter. Stop being so hesitant with me," he said.

Miss Weasley spoke, "We wanted to . . . Um..."

A smug smile spread across his lips. "Well? Keazle got your tongue?" He rested his hands on his lap and laced his fingers together. "You and Potter certainly match. You even have the same speech patterns. "

Hermione hit his arm playfully, and Ginny giggled and blushed.

"Actually we didn't know if we should come but we wanted to..." Potter began but didn't finish. The young man took a deep breath and looked at the Lupins. He assumed that the boy was trying to seek silent support and courage.

"Come on, Harry. It's me you're talking to," Hermione prompted.

Potter nodded. "I know. It's just hard. I have never been good at talking about things like this." He took another breath. "Well, we wanted to talk to both of you and..."

"Merlin, Harry. Hermione, Sir, we just wanted to say that the four of us have nothing against you being together and if you need any help at all with anyone, to tell us and we'll help," Ginny said.

So they'd come to state what was already obvious. It was already evident since the young man was always trying to converse with him, and showed him genuine respect. Lupin was on the cusp of being a friend to him, as was Tonks. He didn't have any dislike toward Ginny Weasley. Not even when she'd confronted him in the headmaster's office.

From the corner of his eye, he saw Hermione smiling. "But you've already shown that," she said before he did.

"We know you're going through a lot of stress right now, so we really wanted to make it clear to both of you," Tonks said. "And Hermione, I'm in your situation with an older man, if he starts being stubborn about something because you're younger, come talk to me."

Severus rolled his eyes. The age gap between them hadn't been an issue between them. The only people that tended to bring it up were people that didn't really matter.

"I assure you that issue is not a problem." Hermione said.

"Well, I knew without a doubt that wasn't a problem," Ginny stated, surprising him and probably Hermione too. She opened her mouth, but Ginny cut her off. "I saw you two kissing, and he answered your questions. I figured something far more was going on."

Hermione's cheeks turned crimson and he tried to maintain a blank face. He wouldn't forget that moment for the rest of his life. How her fingers caressed his hair, how her body crashed over him as her lips claimed his. All in the middle of a battle. A desperate attempt to show her feelings to him. To make him realize that he loved her too since he was blind to the facts. No, not blind. He'd refused to accept it.

"I-I'd forgotten you were there..." Hermione said.

"Of course, you did," Ginny said. "You were occupied with more important things."

Laughter erupted in the room. Her eyes flew to him and she granted him a shy smile. She was remembering too. How they took small steps until they got to where they were now.

He took a teacup and put it to his lips, hiding his smile behind the porcelain.

Maybe one day he could consider these people as family like Hermione did. In the past, the thought would be absurd. Yet, if he looked back on his life, the absurd, the unexpected, and the unlikely tended to happen.

Only time would tell.

AN: Hope you liked it and let me know what you think. See you on Wednesday afternoon.