Chapter 109: Depending on Dobby

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 109: Depending on Dobby

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

AN: Changed dates of these events for convenience

February, 1998

"Headmaster! Headmaster!"

Severus shot up from his seat, the chair behind him crashing to the floor. A Slytherin rarely spoke with such panicked tones, so the lilts sent the speed of his heart increasing to a point it felt as if it would burst from his chest.

"They got them! And your witch, sir!" Phineas spoke just as he opened his mouth to inquire about his panic. His stomach tightened, and he felt the bile rise in his throat. "Who?" he managed to say.

"Bellatrix..."

"Did that manic woman hurt her?" he asked almost immediately after that name was uttered. His voice echoed throughout his office, unsettling the birds roosting at his window. The little owl on his desk fluffed up and Fawkes turned his head to study his new master. .

"I don't know, sir. I can only hear what's going on since I'm in that bag of hers. But..."

The fact that he didn't want to continue was enough for him to imagine what was going on. "Your witch is being tortured." Though he expected it, the words were enough to make him grab hold of his desk.

How did Hermione get into the hands of Bellatrix? He couldn't wrap his mind around it. He knew his witch would always be in danger, but for some reason his brain would never grasp just how much. It never latched on to the possibility that she'd be captured. Tortured. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to push out the visions that his traitorous thoughts apparated inside his mind.

But he couldn't. The woman torturing her was psychotic. She enjoyed being brutal to everyone, but her hatred of muggleborns and muggles would make it much worse. Bellatrix would prolong the torture as long as she could. Relish in every whimper, every scream, and every plea. She wouldn't give up until she got a plea. And his stubborn Gryffindor would never give her one.

Hermione was going to die. She had no chance of survival under Bellatrix's torture. That woman destroyed two aurors. Made them completely incapable of functioning. If he didn't act, he'd lose her just like he'd lost everything else in his life. He could prevent it if he—

He slammed his hands on the desk. No, he couldn't help her. She'd be angry with him if he gave up all he'd done so far to help her. She knew the risks in this mission. She knew what he was and knew the risks in lov--She knew the risk in loving him.

That witch. She loved him knowing she could die. Knowing he could die. She said she loved him regardless of the dangers around them. Why didn't he say the same to her? Why did he have to be a coward and not tell her? Now he may not even get the chance because that glorious woman would die for a cause the same way he told her he would.

But she never put her life on hold out of fear. She loved and loved deeply. She loved him deeply.

"Headmaster!" Phineas shouted, bringing him out of his realization. "Do something!"

He had to help her. And if she survived this, he would tell her how he felt the first chance he could. If he got that chance.

He grabbed his wand and focused on the area where Bellatrix was assigned. She had Draco under her tutelage so she was at their manor.

He swallowed, knowing that it was going to be difficult to leave. Lucius, Draco, Bellatrix, and possibly the snatchers would be here. There were too many opponents for him, and Hermione would be incapacitated if Bellatrix had gotten far in the torture.

"Don't, Severus. You can't help them. Not openly." Albus's harsh interruption earned a growl from him. He hated that the old wizard was right.

She would be fine if Bellatrix used Legilimency. But if she used cruciatus, which was likely, no one would be able to endure that for long.

"You can't expect me to let the Death Eaters kill them?" Severus said to him.

"You have to believe in their abilities."

"Abilities are well and good but in this case they have no way of—"

"I never said not to help them. I said not to help them . . . openly."

Albus gave him a smile and his eyes twinkled. His grip on his wand relaxed. From the corner of his eyes, he noticed Albus's softened expression but refused to behave as if he'd noticed it.

His mind scrambled for a plan that would keep his position secure while helping her. He needed someone that could get out of there quickly with them.

A portkey wasn't available and he couldn't apparate because he would be seen. A thought crossed his mind like a ray of light crossing the darkness. He knew someone that knew that house as well as he did, maybe even better. A creature with the ability to break any ward with their magic.

"Dobby."

In response to his authority, a cracking noise broke the silence. The elf had his fingers in intertwined and cautiously approached him. He hadn't called the elf since he'd sent the note to Hermione. That was an easy task in comparison with what he was going to ask of the creature this time.

"The headmaster needs something?" The insecurity was present in his voice.

"Potter and his friends are in danger. They are at your old house. Death Eaters like your old master are torturing Granger. I can't help them, so I need you to do it." He took a deep breath as he saw the elf's mouth open in shock. "I won't lie to you. If you decide to go, you might not come back alive. So I ask you, are you up to it? You'll help save Potter and his friends and it will assist in vanquishing the Dark Lord"

Dobby nodded and his respect for that elf increased tenfold. He would never treat a house elf poorly ever again. Would not show them the slightest disrespect.

"I will save them, sir."

The elf raised his hand and before he could say something, snapped his fingers and disappeared.

Despite sending the rescue, his body was still stiff. His heart felt as if it would fail at any moment. He wouldn't be satisfied until she was away from that psychotic woman.

His breathing trembled and he looked down at his desk.

"Please...Please don't be too late."

AN: Time to suffer again. Hope you liked it and let me know what you think. See you on Wednesday if nothing else happens and wish you happy holidays.