Chapter 100: Giving Away the Past

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 100: Giving Away the Past

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

He was glad Phineas informed him about how Hermione, Potter, and Weasley managed to get to Grimmauld place unnoticed. He grew tenser with each step to the house, and gripped his wand tightly as he traveled, ready to confront anyone that would possibly attack him. Though he leaked where the house was located, the Death Easters still hadn't been able to see it. The fidelius charm Dumbledore cast was still active, as if it too were passed to him along with the protection of Hogwarts.

Of course, the whole order knew about the location. Since they feared an ambush, because of his betrayal, they had abandoned the idea of using it. The Death Eaters knew about it but didn't bother to look around anymore. At least, for now.

He had to talk to her before they concluded that it could be a place for them to hide Potter. He knew it wouldn't be long now. If he didn't speak to her now, he would truly have to leave her completely alone in the war zone. Though he had confidence in her, he knew she'd appreciate his efforts, and that he'd have a bit more peace knowing he was doing all he could for her.

The door appeared when he got closer and despite being under a cloaking spell, he checked his surroundings again before entering the place. He walked lightly. When he was in the middle of the entrance, he stopped, sensing some kind of spell guarding the house. Something that wasn't here before.

He raised his wand. A white shadow started to materialize in front of him. He dispelled it but not before seeing the similarities to the deceased headmaster.

He entered the house, his stealth making it sound as if there was nothing more than the usual settling of an old house. He smirked when he heard snoring from the living room. He peered into the room.

They were there. She was there.

He felt sweat accumulate on his palms, and wiped them in the sleeves of his robe, before turning and climbing the stairs, even more wary not to make the slightest noise. He didn't want to wake the portraits or the people sleeping in the living room.

He entered what he knew to be Sirius' room. A light layer of dust covered the furniture, evidence that no one had moved his belongings since he'd died.

Waving his wand, he muttered the spell and soon the silver mist formed in front of him. The doe was still malformed, and refused to look at him. The patronus walked around the room on its own. It stopped at the edge of one of the nightstands and nudged a book there, making it fall onto the bed. It opened to a page.

His throat felt like it was constricting as he studied the item lying upon the book's page. Not, with pain but with anger. It was almost as if his own patronus was trying to mock him along with fate.

"Go wake Hermione and guide her here," he said, unable to pull his eyes away from the picture moving in front of him.

He refused to even glare at his patronus' defiance. It was as if it was trying to remind him where he should focus his attention. He stared at the picture of Lily laughing with Potter and Black at her side.