Chapter 92: Significant Seat

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 92: Significant Seat

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

July, 1997

A few weeks of uncontrolled madness followed the fall of the hope and security that Albus Dumbledore provided. The attacks on muggles, muggleborns, and blood traitors had started.

The Death Eaters assigned to those tasks made sure to paint the street with blood and the sky with a green death mark. They screamed for their actions to be known so they could infuse fear in the population.

No one was safe unless they were a radical pureblood that adored the Dark Lord.

All the talks and gloating about how many people they killed made him increasingly nauseated. He felt useless waiting there. He was anxious to do something. Anything. Even if people hated him now. He needed to know if Granger was okay.

Granger was with Potter and that made her even more at risk. Every time the door to the manor opened, he feared hearing she'd been killed, and was terrified she might be brought here for all to torture.

He needed contact with the outside world to gain some balance. He needed to know about victories from the other side instead of only theirs. None of them would report anything negative to the Dark Lord right now. It was much too risky. All he knew was that they were starting to control the ministry; he didn't know who died during that process.

"Severus." The hissing at his back made him turn and kneel. The Dark Lord smiled and waved his hand. "There is no need for that, my friend. Raise and come with me. Your brothers will be here soon with news and I want you there."

"Of course, my lord." He did as his master ordered. Silence surrounded them until they reached a large and long oak table with numerous empty chairs. They used this meeting room now.

The Dark Lord touched the table with his nails until he reached the main seat. He slowly sat down. From the corner of his eye he saw a slow movement creep towards him as Nagini twisted and twined around the chair, finally resting his head on the Dark Lord's shoulder. The man scratched under her jaw with the same delicateness as one would a cat.

The Dark Lord looked at him. "Come to my right side. You have earned it."

His eyes widened at the offer. That was the most respect the Dark Lord had ever shown him. If he offered him that seat, it would be in front of the inner circle's eyes. Clearly making it known he should be respected by all of them. That if he were crossed, it would mean death for whoever did it. It meant he was the second in the command.

Severus bowed and took the seat in silence. Only the serpent hissed at him in response, opening her jaws with a threatening movement. He remained emotionless, looking bored at the serpent.

The Dark Lord laughed. "Nagini is just approving you." The Dark Lord's reassurance sounded strange.

"I am honored."