Chapter 80: Variegating Scene

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 80: Variegating Scene

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

May, 1997

"Lift your wand higher, Granger," he yelled when the witch cast the spell incorrectly, causing it to disappear too soon. He narrowed his eyes. "Did you even glance at the spells I told you to practice? Not even first years make a rudimental mistake like that."

She shivered and he regretted the tone in which he spoke his words. He knew he was being a bit too harsh, but he couldn't help it. She was better than this. He didn't need her being incompetent after the disastrous week he'd had. Every student he came across had acted like a cretin. How was he supposed to help them all when they were so careless? He'd probably already beaten the record for assigning the most punishments in a week's span.

But if he were true to himself, he knew it wasn't only the incompetency of the students. This witch had him so unhinged. He just couldn't control his thoughts when he saw her. She was everywhere, making him unable to forget what happened between them. Every time he saw her, even when it was a brief glimpse out of the corner of his eyes, he had to push down the desire to grab her and hug her. Had to push down the joy that she'd welcome such an action and reciprocate.

He went to default Severus whenever he was unnerved by something, and default Severus was a grumpy, cruel git. The only difference between then and now was that he would now acknowledge when he crossed the line. She didn't deserve the treatment he was giving her.

"I'm trying. I'd get it if you were less demanding and showed me how to do it first!" Her voice came out with a tone that matched his. Her eyes were narrowed and her hair looked more tousled than usual.

She was beautiful.

He cursed in his mind at the compliment, took a deep breath to reign in his temper, and walked up to her. "Fine," he snapped, but it had less causticity to it. He took her wrist in his hand, firm but not nearly hard enough to hurt. He moved behind her. "Right here, is where it needs to be." It wasn't until he lifted her arm to the appropriate height, having to move closer to do so, that he noticed the mistake he'd made.

His chest was against her back. Warmth radiated off her like a burgeoning fire, her breath was ragged, and her smell hit him as if it were attacking with a spell. His heart hammered against his chest and he took a small step rearward to make sure she couldn't feel it against her back.

His grip on her wrist relaxed but he couldn't make himself let go.

"S-should I cast it?" her voice was soft and hear heard the breathlessness in it. She was affected just as much as he was.

"Yes," he said, proud that his voice came out steady because in a split second he accepted that he was lost. He would be until he died. He accepted the ache to give up everything for her. To break the promise he'd made to himself seventeen years ago.

He wouldn't, but the temptation had never been stronger. He had to make up for what he'd done, but now this woman so near to him had infiltrated that promise. It was now more about protecting her than anyone else.

A caress reached his free hand. He took a deep breath, filling himself with a scent that caused all his focus to settle onto her. Her fingers intertwined with his, and she moved his arm up so it wrapped around her waist. She held his hand against her other side, pressing it against her body.

He saw a glistening figure from the corner of his eye and looked up. The silver mist swirled and formed in the air, sparking slightly at first, but then separating in different strands. They tied and wove themselves together until the intricate form of an otter appeared before them.

She'd done it. . . Using him. Having him close to her gave her happiness.

They would be doomed if either made a false step now.

"V...Very good."

She let go of his hands and turned in his embrace. He never dropped his arm, so it was still wrapping around her, under her robe. He was too stunned to do anything. Too amazed that he too could make someone happy. Truly happy.

She looked up at him.

"How do I communicate with him?" She wasn't unnerved by their position in the slightest.

He glanced at the patronus and stiffened. Its silver eyes carried a strange hint of acceptance along with the playful nature he had seen before.

"You just talk and say the name of the one you wish to hear the message."

"Hm," she said. She didn't turn to talk to the patronus.

"Try to send someone a message," he said.

She met his eyes. "There's no one away from me important enough that I want to talk to right now." His heart sped up.

He swallowed when he saw she was focusing her sight on his lips. She moved a bit closer. She tiptoed up and he found himself coerced but some unknown force to lean forward and...

"Murder! There's been a murder in the bathrooms!"

AN: Ops...What happened here? Hope you liked it and let me know what you think! I will see you in a couple of hours with another chapter.
PS: This will have a companion draw...
PS2: Sending not so random huggles to my beta :P