Chapter 25: Curses

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 25: Curses

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

June 1996

He never thought he was the pacing type, but these events proved him wrong. He wasn't sure how long he'd been moving back and forth even though he occasionally looked at the clock on the wall. He'd gotten no news. His mark hadn't burned once, so that was a good sign at least.

He feared for the kids the most. They weren't prepared to engage in battle with some of the most fearsome Death Eaters. This school didn't properly train them for that type of fight.

Taking a long look at the fireplace again, he finally stopped his movements and let himself fall onto the couch, making a small sound when his body collided with the soft material.

He moved his hand around his hair, massaging his scalp in the process.

If the boy had caused other students to perish he would. . .

As he let the thoughts run wild in his brain, a small spark came to life in the fireplace, catching his eye in an instant. He pulled himself out of the sofa to cross the distance in a few steps.

"Severus?" A small voice came from the embers, but a face didn't appear.

"I am here, Madam Pomfrey. Do you have any news?" He tried to sound emotionless.

"Yes, they are back, Severus, but I need your assistance now. One of the students got hit with a dark curse."

He heard the worry in her voice. If she called for him, then the student had to be on the verge of death. She was the most skilled mediwitch he'd ever known.

"Step aside, please, so I can go in," he replied and took a deep breath. Now he needed to focus on saving a life instead of taking one.

He entered the fireplace and his body was sucked up by the chimney. In an instant, he was in the office of the hospital wing. Pomfrey was waiting for him. The woman's eyes were red, and dark circles draped under them. Her hands were gripping the small apron she wore.

She walked over to him and dusted off his robes with her hands. This woman treated him like he was still a small boy she should care for. He would only admit to himself that he was touched by her care.

"Come with me, Severus. She was unconscious when she arrived."

He followed her fast steps. More questions rose inside his mind with her brief explanation. When he crossed the hospital wing, he spotted the Weasley boy, who had some burn marks on his skin. His sister was sitting with him, concern on her face. Longbottom had a bleeding bump on his head, and Lovegood had a few cuts. Potter was nowhere to be seen, so he was probably with Albus. If Potter had died, the Dark Lord would've already summoned him.

But someone was missing from that group. His stomach sank. Of all the people . . . Pomfrey slowly opened the curtain, and revealed he was right.