One step at a time.

Time seemed to freeze as Josh and maya stood staring at three adults at the table. Riley could sense the tension as she looked from Josh and Maya, to Shawn, Katy and Larry.

"I think I'll go unpack and check on Auggie." Riley said as she went back to the living room to grab her bags and go to her room.

Maya swallowed hard at the gazes of her parents and manager. She looked up at Josh who was staring hard at the magazine on the table. Maya looked down and saw the headlines.

Breaking news: Maya Hunter dating her body guard!?!

Maya inwardly groaned as she was the picture of her and Josh holding hands and him protecting her from those guys yesterday. She looked at the bottom and saw a picture of Shawn Mendez.

Maya Hunter love triangle!?!

And just like that she knew this wasn't going to be good.

"Do either one of you want to explain this to me?" Shawn asked as he gazed at Josh. Katy sighed and put a hand on Shawn's arm.

"Are you both okay?" She asked. Maya nodded her head as Josh shoved his hands in his pockets. He averted his gaze to keep from glaring a hole in Larry's head.

"What happened? We let you go on a weekend trip and suddenly wake up to hear that you were practically assaulted! You didn't even cal to tell us." Shawn said as he stood up from the table to look more at Maya than Josh.

"Shawn calm down." Katy told her husband.

"I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I just stopped by to see how Maya was doing. I didn't want to wait until tonight to see. I was so worried when I saw this on my desk this morning." Larry spoke up as he too stood up from the table and went to lay a hand on Maya's shoulder.

Maya stiffened at the contact. Josh came up in between them and reached for the magazine over Larry's shoulder to use that as an excuse to get in between them. Larry waited until Shawn and Katy weren't looking before he shot Josh a glare, who happily returned it.

"Why don't we go check on the other kids and let them have a minute." Katy told Shawn who was having a hard time dealing with everything. Shawn took a deep breath before he nodded and walked out of the room. "We'll talk later." Katy said as she kissed Maya on the cheek and smiled at Josh before giving Larry a cryptic look. She walked out of the room and left them alone. The fake smile on Larry's face dropped.

"Why am I the last one to know?" He mumbled to himself as he walked around the kitchen and faced Josh and Maya. "I had one rule! One!" He whisper shouted at them so Katy and Shawn wouldn't hear. Josh glared at Larry while Maya's body kept tensed as she stared at her manager.

"You know how reporters can be. They twist the truth and turn it into something unrealistic. Josh saved me from something terrible yesterday, he was doing his job and he was protecting me! Of course he was going to hold my hand, it was completely friendly!" Maya argued. Larry rolled his eyes.

"Please. Someone as young as you two, alone together almost twenty-four-seven, something is bound to happen between the two of you." Larry told them. Josh thought it was better to keep his mouth shut, not thinking it was safe to say what was really going through his mind.

"What you dont trust me?" Maya said more in a teasing way. Larry glared at her.

"Part of this is my fault. I should have never agreed to letting him be your bodyguard." Larry stated like Josh wasn't even in the room. Maya scoffed. "There is only one thing to do, you'll have to get rid of him and get you someone else." Larry told her. This caught Josh's attention. He took a step forward but Maya put a hand in front of him to stop him. Josh looked at her before running a hand through his hair and stepping back. Maya took a deep breath before continuing.

"No."

Silence. Nothing but silence as both Larry and Josh looked at Maya with shock written on their faces. The only difference is that Josh had a hint of a smile on his face.

"Excuse me?" Larry asked as he lowered his eyes at Maya.

"I said no. Josh has saved me twice now and that's more than I can say for any security guards that you have put at my concerts." She told him with her hands on her hips. Larry scoffed.

"I am not hearing this." He said shaking his head. "Maya, I'm getting you someone different and that's final." He said. Maya shook her head.

"No you're not. Besides, you didnt hire Josh. My parents did, and it's my decision rather or not he goes and he is not going." Maya said firmly. Josh grinned smugly as he looked over at Larry's bewildered look.

"Maya, may I remind you I hold your entire future in my hands. Either he goes, or your entire contract does." Larry said as he got up in her face and pointed at her. Josh didnt take this too lightly.

"May I remind you," Josh said sternly as he got beside Maya and poked Larry's chest. "That I am still her bodyguard and if I have to, your head is going through that wall." He pointed behind Larry's shoulder at the kitchen wall. You would have thought Larry had painted his whole face red.

"Besides, I'm the only recording artist you have that actually makes you money. Believe it or not, Larry. You need me." Maya reminded him. Larry took a deep breath before taking a step back and glaring Maya.

"This isn't over." He told her before he stomped out of the kitchen. As soon as they heard the front door slam, Josh and Maya both let out a breath or relief. Maya gave a frustrated smile to Josh before she stood on her tippy toes and put her arms around his neck to give him a hug in thanks. Josh wrapped his arms around her when the kitchen door slammed open. Josh and Maya froze before they looked over to see Shawn standing there.

Maya bit her lip to keep from laughing as she slowly let go of Josh and stepped back. Josh's eyes widened and Maya couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at the look on his face. It resembled a small kid that just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"You!" Shawn said pointing at Josh with a glare on his face. Josh started backing up slowly.

"Shawn, it really isn't what you think." He said before stumbling over a chair at the kitchen table. Josh flew his hands out to hold on to whatever he could to keep from falling, and that so happened to be Maya.

Josh's hands landed on her shoulders and Maya grabbed him by the waist to help steady him. Josh smiled at her in thanks before looking back over at Shawn who looked even angrier.

"JOSHUA!" He yelled. Josh looked over at Maya and sighed.

"You just had to make me fall in love with you." He told her before he started running around the kitchen table with Shawn right on his tail.

But now, Maya was frozen. For a completely different reason.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya and Josh really aren't good at this being friends thing. Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed! I'll try to update again soon.