Chapter 23

(Renesmee)

It is time for cheerleading tryouts. Emory, Dezarae, and I are standing outside of the gym behind a long line of extremely peppy girls in tight skirts and sports bras. Some of them had the brains to pull their hair up, while others are standing out here with curling irons and large bows. For Amber, I realize. Of course. I scold myself. I should have known. They bounce around on the balls of their feet like the world blowing up with fireworks. The bomb of Pom-poms flash around beside my face with the school colors (green and silver).

The line winds down and eventually there are only 5 people in line before us.

Jacob comes to the door of the gymnasium. "Hey guys, I just wanted to wish you good luck, because no one is better than you guys." He kisses the top of my head and continues to talk. "I am gonna go watch from the stand. Good luck!" He yells running off.

The line is down to us three. We walk into the padded gym.

"I thought you were auditioning." Amber hints at her dislike. "Let's see Dezarae first, Emory, and then Renesmee. Then, you three will do the basket toss together." She lays on the sweet, honey tone when she says my name in a small attempt to sugar-coat her hatred.

I sit with Emory through the duration of Dezarae's routine and audition. "Very impressive. Thank-you for auditioning. We will get back to you." The teacher sitting next to Amber decides.

Emory's routine goes very well as the teachers beside Amber look impressed with her talent of routine. Then, it is my turn to go on. I stand in the center stage in a sassy pose to wait for my music. The beat starts. I switch my arms in the air and cross them to bring them out. I sit in the air and do a back handspring step-out. The judges smirk-- every judge but Amber--. I strut my stuff for two counts and take my legs down to second position plie. I move my shoulders being extra sassy. My legs come together as my hands go up and down. I break into a small sprint to a roundoff back handspring back tuck, and land with both hands up. My ankles pop and switch as I take two steps for my front aerial. I bring my separated legs through the air and land with both feet. I prepare for a double turn and jump out to a center split with both hands placed effortlessly on the bottom of my chin.

The judges looked puzzled and excited as I smile and make my way to the front of their table. "That was extremely astonishing Ms. Cullen." The nice teacher sitting on Amber's left aspires. "I would like to have all three of you over here for the basket toss." Amber snaps sourly. "Yes cap'n" I bring my hand to my forehead to salute sarcastically. Amber twitches her eyes and continues with her fake smile.

Emory and Dezarae come to my side. I am now extremely relaxed as my feet are solid in Emory and Dez' hands. I push my arms into their shoulders keeping my balance. "Tuck and toss!" I yell. The faces of the judges are surprised and some scared. Emorial and Dezarae know what to do.

I bend my knees and feel all of the muscles strengthen in my calves that rip all the way to my thighs. I push-- hard-- out of their hands and feel the impulse of my feet against their hands. My plie sends impact as I push harder. I lift off of them and am no longer connected to the people who were holding me in.

I think of the people of hate in my life. Here's a short list: Isaac, Amber, Caius, Aro, and Marcus. I feel free of their arms that chain me into this life. I don't feel free, I am free. Like a bird that flows through the clouded patterns of the light blue sky. Though I am only similar to this bird, I am the bird. I lose feeling of this as Emorial and Dez catch my hips with huge bright smiles. What was life without the people on my left and right? What I know of friendships stop short at this moment. I stand to my feet and bring my arms around them in a warm embrace. The grins on their faces make me feel protected.

"Well, that was extremely uncalled for!" Amber spits out stepping out from behind the table. Her long red curls move with her. Piper and Kylie bounce to their feet as well. I didn't see them until they were copying the Queen. The teacher on her right steps in. "You are right Amber... It was amazing!" She starts to jump up and down on her feet. "We have never seen such talent here in ages!" The teacher on the left explains. "Excuse me?" Amber mutters. "Oh, don't take it personal Amber! I could help you if you want." I snap into a devilish smile. "You are so gracious Ms. Cullen." One of the teachers says. "I have already put you three on the team." The other teacher says. "We would like you to consider, Renesmee, a spot as the co-captain." Amber looks to the adults with look of pure horror at the thought of sharing a spot, especially with me. I decide that look of sheer surprise will look great on my face. First year at school, and I already am cheer captain. "I would love to!" I act for the entertainment of my friends. "See you around... Amber."