Chapter Twelve

Amber surprised to see Eric is coming early for work. Eric notices Amber stares from a distance.

“Amber?”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, I am.”

“I brought hot coffee and pastries. Would like to have breakfast with me?”

“What do you have in there?”

“Well, do you like blueberry crème?”

“Never tried before.”

“Well, here’s your chance.”

Amber get’s up and sit next to Eric by the register. Clarice is off today and only Eric and Amber will be in the store. Amber thought, maybe she should have let Eric have his day off too.

“You know Eric, maybe you should take your day off today. It’s Saturday and I can handle this all by myself.”

“Nonsense. I will help you even if you don’t pay me.”

“You’re kidding right?”

“Nope.”

“You could have told me that when I hired you.”

They both started to laugh and drank their coffee. Eric loves to make her smile and laugh. Who would have thought, she’s funny and adorable even if she’s not trying hard to show it.

“It’s nice to see you laugh.”

“Don’t get use to it.”

“I don’t mind. I can get use to anything with you.”

Amber stops for a minute, thinking what Eric had just said. She looks at Eric who is smiling at her. She suddenly turns her attention to her coffee.

“Are you blushing again?”

“No.”

“This is the third time I’ve seen you blushed. If it’s not blushing, I’m probably experiencing some mild convulsion.” Says Eric while he touches his forehead.

“Will you stop?” Amber laughs and slaps Eric shoulder.

While they were sharing breakfast, the phone begins to ring. Amber and Eric look at each other, as if both knew who is calling. She picks up the phone and hears Russell’s voice.

“Hi, good morning Amber.”

“Hi.” Replied Amber in a low tone voice.

“I’m so sorry about last night.”

“It’s okay.”

“I love you.”

Amber stays quiet, thinking if she should respond. Last night, she cried so much, and did not sleep well. All she wanted right now is not to argue, and not get annoyed by Russell’s apology. Every single time, he apologizes; but then has no clue about the problem.

“Are you busy?” Asks Russell.

“I am.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

“I’ll wait for you till you get home.”

“Okay.”

Eric couldn’t help, but listen to Amber while she speaks to her husband. It’s something that he knew it sends a thorn in his heart, but this is her husband.

After Amber hangs up the phone, he smiles to her.

“Is everything okay?” Asks Eric.

“Yes, everything is okay.”

“By the way, have you ever thought of using some pictures on the wall?”

Amber looks at the wall. She never really thought about anything like that, but she likes his idea.

“That’s actually a great idea, but where would I get the pictures?”

“There is this place I know, we can take pictures ourselves.”

“That’s great, I will let Clarice go with you.”

“Clarice?” Eric asks Amber just to make sure he hears what she says.

“Yes.”

“I thought we were going to go together?”

“I will be busy here at the store.”

“Well, we can do it on a Sunday?”

“Sunday?”

“Yes.”

“I’m not sure about Sunday.”

“Okay.”

After their breakfast, they go on with each other’s work. Amber made sure the flowers are well maintained. They get their flowers every two weeks. She should be picking up the flowers next week on a Sunday. Then suddenly she had an idea! She goes to find where Eric is and tell him about it.

“Hey, I had a great idea.” Says Amber in excitement.

“What is it?”

“We can take some pictures at the day we pick up new flowers for the store. How’s that?”

“That’s a great idea.”

“Great! We can do it next Sunday.”

They both smiled at each other and continue with their work. As the rest of the day goes by, Eric couldn’t help but glance at Amber once in awhile. He admires her dedication to her work. But even though, you can still see in her eyes something is missing. All he wants is to make her happy while he is around. The four years after being diagnosed of a cancer in his bone of unknown primary. He had treatments but it’s not getting any better. The last time he spoke to his doctor, they are convinced that it had spread to other parts of his organs. The doctors told him, he can probably lasts at least a year. That is why he left, he tried to do what’s right, and he failed. Amber must have noticed that he was staring at her, and gave him a look. He just smiled innocently back at her. 

“Why are you staring at me?”

“Was I staring at you? Maybe you were staring at me.”

“What?”

“How are you sure, I’m staring at you?”

Amber felt embarrassed after what Eric had said.

“Sorry, I thought you were staring at me.”

Eric nodded to himself and smiled secretly. 

The day went by smoothly and it’s time to close the store. Eric wanted to say goodbye to Amber, but she is busy with a telephone call. He just waved his hand to her, and then smiles.

On the phone, Amber is talking to her mother. She never stops complaining about when she will be a grandmother. Amber can’t blame her mother also. It’s been almost six years and still they have not had a chance to have a baby. The doctor clearly told her before that she does not have a problem having children. She does not know about Russell, because she never asks him.

“Amber, I’m getting old. I want to see my grandkids before I die.”

“Mother, give us some time.”

“Time? How much time does your husband need?”

Amber just sighs deeply. She does not know what to say to her mother anymore.

“I’ll tell you what’s probably wrong with Russell. He’s the one who’s got problems. He can’t get you pregnant at all.”

“Mother!”

“Why it’s true. Why don’t you ask him yourself?”