Chapter Two

That evening Amber receives a phone from the waiter. 

"Russell?"

"Amber?"

"What happen?"

"I had an emergency here at work. I can't leave right now."

"But it's our first year anniversary."

"I'm so sorry. I will make it up to you."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

Amber felt so sad because Russell could not make it to their first year wedding anniversary. She grabs her purse and leaves. The night is good enough to take off her cardigan. She took a walk instead of getting a cab on the way home. While she's walking, she thought to herself... She did not like the fact that most times, Russell's job come in between their relationship. Once, she tried telling him, but couldn't. She knows, this is the one supporting both of them. Without his job, she won't be able to afford to start a business of her own.

When she reaches their house, she went straight to their bedroom and change into her comfortable clothes. She sat by the window and gaze into the moonlight. She wonders how would it be if Russell was not a surgeon?

She finally fell asleep late that night. By the time she woke up, Russell is still not home. She decides, she is going to visit a friend of hers... Judy. She's glad her friend only lives two blocks away from her house.

Judy is her best-friend ever since high school. She always goes to her whenever she needed someone to talk to. 

"Hey, how are you?"

"Thank you for letting me come here in such short notice."

"Are you kidding? I'm so bored."

Amber just smiles in return.

"By the way, how was your first year anniversary?"

"Russell had to stay and work. He had to do an emergency operation."

"I see. Well, I'm sure he will make it up to you."

"He did say that."

"So don't worry.'

"But it's our first year anniversary."

"And your husband is a surgeon. It's not like he is sleeping with someone else. He is out there saving lives."

Amber just let out a sigh. Her best-friend is right about one thing. He is out there saving lives.

"If I were you, I would make the surprise for him instead. Go to his work and bring him lunch or something."

"I tried that before, but then his pager won't last five minutes without beeping."

"Look, Amber. You knew how demanding his job will be. You need to stay right beside him. You guys were only married for a year. Cut him some slack Amber."

"Maybe, I should have encouraged not to be a surgeon."

"Mrs. Amber Sanchez!"

"I'm just... I mean he is always in the hospital."

"And you're?"

"I'm getting lonely and I need him. I never thought it would be this hard."

"Stay strong Amber. Remember, he is doing this for both of your future. I don't want to see my best-friend's marriage go down to the drain."

"I envy you.'

"Are you kidding me? I would rather Patrick stay out most of the times. When he's here, he see's everything. He is worse than a woman."