Chapter Thirty-Three

***Warning***

This chapter is a bit more graphic than usual. If you're squemish about blood and gore or violence you might want to skip this chapter. 

According to Akira, the old man lived in the mountains behind the temple –that is, if he was still among the living. Either way, they had to get out. And chasing after this alleged expert was a good enough reason for now. The priests followed the party off the temple grounds. Much to Suzume’s dismay they did not exit out the main gates with the red arches but out a small back gate like a group of lurking thieves. This is humiliating. We saved their temple from complete destruction, it was only partially destroyed. No one has any gratitude these days. The rear gate, despite Suzume’s fear, was not a crack in a wall. There was a small red arch with charms dangling from it and twirling in a slight breeze. Suzume titled her head back trying to read the black markings on the white paper but she could not get a clear look at them. What are they trying to keep out?

Akira was the first to step through the arches and when nothing cataclysmic happened, the others followed through. There was a short stone pathway that ended at the forest. Beyond that, was a twisting narrow forest path. It divided at random and ended without warning. It appeared it had been created by some forest animal. A wider path switched back and forth up the hill and disappeared into the forest.  

Suzume looked up at the hillside. It loomed green and massive before her.

“How far exactly do we need to go to confirm this former priest is dead?” Suzume asked the group at large.

Kaito was a few feet behind Akira, and he was alive with excitement. I bet he would not mind if we never found this priest, it’s all about the journey for him.  He always seemed to enjoy the prospect of an adventure. Rin was between Suzume and Kaito. She turned from Suzume to look at Akira for an answer. Akira was the leader for this hapless venture.  

Akira lifted a shoulder. “Until we find him,” she said and proceeded to pick her way through the trail. She walked with confidence through the maze of animal trails, even though she had been trapped inside the temple for a very long time.  

Suzume huffed. Maybe if I lingered behind, I could find a reason to make the priests keep me. I am Kazue’s reincarnation and this is her temple. She looked longingly back at the temple to the line of priests who were blocking any attempt at return. Though she could not see it, she could sense a barrier being erected around the temple. There was a tingling on the air, and the wind didn’t blow through the trees on the grounds of the temples the way they were through the trees outside of it.  The four or so priests standing by the gate were chanting together. No going back there, I suppose. She heaved a sigh and continued after her companions.

The climbing was long, hard, and endless. Her companions all were possessed of superior strength and stamina and Suzume found herself falling behind more and more. Rin hung back waiting for Suzume to catch up more than once and at last Suzume snapped at her.

“Hurry up, or the others are going to get away without us,” She said picking up her pace though her limbs screamed in protest.

“You’re not strong enough to keep up with them,” Rin said matter-of-factly.

It was true. But it pricked at Suzume’s pride and when her pride was pricked she struck back. “I don’t need help from you. I know you’re only doing this because you feel guilty about Kaito knowing I am Kazue. Or you’re jealous and your feel guilty for that because you love him.”

A complicated mix of emotions crossed Rin’s expression. Suzume hadn’t really meant to hurt the fox. She had just lashed out without thinking, like she usually did. She did not really think Rin loved Kaito, not romantically, but Rin had taken the words to heart it seemed.