Chapter Seventeen

“What did you do?” Suzume spun around to face Kaito.

He leaned against the doorway to the shrine. “I think you should be asking yourself that question, Kazue.”

“Don’t call me Kazue!” She snarled.

I wish he would decide on a personality and stick with it.

“Why would I stop when you make that adorable face whenever I call you by your old name?”  He winked at her as he flicked his hand in her direction to indicate said face.

Suzume scowled at him. Even when he was acting out of character he was infuriating.

“Miss, who are you talking to...?” The old woman spoke up.

Suzume turned back around to look at her.  She’s got to be joking. How can she not see him? He’s a head taller than me, at least. Suzume glanced between the old woman and back to Kaito. The old woman’s brow was furrowed and she kept glancing in Kaito’s direction, but just past him out to the road beyond.

“Him.” She pointed at Kaito. “He’s standing right there.” She jabbed with her finger for emphasis.

The old woman’s frown deepened as she shook her head. “There’s no one there.”

Suzume’s eyes widened and she turned back towards Kaito. He was examining his nails and raised a brow at her when she gave him a questioning look.  She can’t see him? Why? Does it have something to do with this spell?

“Maybe you’ve had too much sun.” The old woman said though her expression was wary and she kept her distance from Suzume. Great, now this old lady thinks I’m crazy, Suzume thought. “I need to head back to the village and tell the villagers. They’ll be upset that the shrine has been disturbed. We’ll also need to find out how to bring the god back.  The forest god is the one who blesses or crops and brings the rain. If he is gone then that would mean disaster for the village.” The old woman was wringing her hands and tears gathered along her lashes.

Kaito was sniggering behind Suzume. Suzume balled her hands into fists at her side and did her best to pretend to be interested in what the old woman was saying. She even nodded a few times as the old woman continued to babble about the importance of the god to the village. How much more can she say about this god? What I don’t understand is how a statue just up and walked away.  There’s some strange things going around here and I’m not sure I want to stick around to figure out what.

Suzume glanced at Kaito. He was strolling around the shrine room now. He stood behind the old woman and was mocking her as she spoke speaking in a fake old woman voice. She snorted then covered her mouth. The old woman didn’t notice and continued on with her monologue. This has to mean the god is behind the spell. It’s the only logical explanation.

“It would mean a lot if you could help,” the old woman finished and Suzume realized she had not been paying attention for most of her long winded speech.

“Sure.” Suzume said without thinking, just so she wouldn’t be caught not paying attention. It was Kaito’s fault, really. If he hadn’t been mocking the old woman, Suzume would have been able to focus.  

The old woman smiled and took Suzume’s hands in her own. It seemed the old woman had gotten over her concerns about Suzume’s sanity. The old woman shook Suzume’s hands violently. She’s surprising strong for someone that has to be pushing a hundred.  

“Thank you so much. I know you’ll be able to find the god,” The old woman beamed. The tears she’d be about to shed were falling down her cheeks.