Chapter Eight

“I’ve had enough!” Suzume announced.

Kaito, as usual, was further up the road. The sun had begun to set and it silhouetted him in orange light and set red streaks through his hair which he had tied into a top knot. He tilted his head to regard her.

“You’ve had enough of the sexual tension and you want to give yourself to me?” he asked.

She did not even have the energy to argue. I am going to zap him for that later. They had been walking non-stop since they left the shrine. Less than a week had passed, but it may as well have been months for all she cared. It felt like her blisters had blisters. Her hair was a matted mess. She was sure she stunk like a swamp.

There was a grassy knoll topped by a tree. She stomped over towards it. Fractured shadow gave some relief from the heat and she sat down there and leaned against the tree.

“This place is a bit public but I like a bit of danger,” The dragon said as he loomed over her his arms crossed over his chest.

Suzume closed her eyes and ignored him. Maybe if I close my eyes he and all of this insanity will go away. It’s not even worth going back to the palace at this rate, not if I look like some peasant.

The grass rustled beneath his feet and she could feel the power radiating from his body as he leaned in close to her. His breath fanned across her cheek. Her powers reached out probing tendrils testing his spiritual power with her own. He did not back down but let her power caress his. The sensation of their powers mingling raised the gooseflesh on her arms.

“I forget how weak you humans can be,” he said in a husky whisper.

“That’s because you’re a selfish jerk,” Suzume replied. She kept her eyes closed. She couldn’t see his smile but she could feel his amusement in the commingling of their powers. Kaito’s spiritual energy was sending off sparks like it had before, in fact it seemed to be mixing with hers.

“We’ll make camp, but not here on the side of the road. We’re too exposed. I’d hate for the ‘big one’ to find you and eat you before I get the chance.”

She opened her eyes and found Kaito’s face close to hers. His lips were parted and moist. She turned her head away. “If I didn’t know better I would have taken that you care for me. Better be careful or I’ll get the wrong idea,” she said.

He stood up straight. “I have to take care of my pet,” he laughed his thundering belly laugh and despite her exhaustion her temper won out.

“You are such a—“

“A what?” he smirked with hands on hips.

She shook her head in a furry. Her matted hair swung around and slapping her in the face. “A Dragon.”

He cackled as she stomped up the path away from him. Why is he like that? One moment he’s almost human and the next he’s acting like he’s better than me. She didn’t get far before slowing down and waiting for Kaito to catch up. She looked over her shoulder but he was gone. Where did he go now? She glanced around in several directions. It was as if he had disappeared. He left me! I am going to starve on the road by myself like a filthy peasant and he’ll laugh over my corpse. Or worse, I’ll be eaten before I get the chance to starve!

“Where are you? This isn’t funny!” She twirled in place looking for Kaito. She tried to force out her spiritual powers to look from him but they were once more dormant. She inhaled sharply and wrung her hands. Should I look for help? Who would take me? Where would I go? A hand came down on her shoulder and Suzume screamed. A second hand grabbed her other shoulder and twisted her around.