Chapter Twenty-one

Rin refused to elaborate, much to Suzume’s frustration. No matter how Suzume asked, Rin would not tell Suzume anything more than that she was the key to Suzume’s past. Rin knew something of Kazue, Suzume was certain about it. The fox obviously had not been affected by the spell but she was playing along with Suzume’s charade. What is she getting at?

Suzume tried several different subtle techniques to wheedle information out of Rin.

“Come on, Rin,” Suzume whined. “You have to tell me, this is my past after all.”

Rin was walking ahead of Suzume her long red tail swishing back and forth as she walked. “Just because I’m the key doesn’t mean I have to tell you right away.” Rin glanced at Suzume over her shoulder and grinned at her.

Suzume scowled at her. “What is wrong with you immortals? Do you live to make my life miserable?” Suzume growled in frustration and threw her hands up. “Speaking of annoying immortals, where is Kaito? We’ve been walking for days and we haven’t seen any sign of him. He said he wouldn’t be gone long.” Suzume’s voice had reach a high pitch tone which made Rin flattened her ears against her head.

Rin shrugged. “I don’t question the master’s motives. He told me to lead you west and that’s what I am doing.”

“Where are we going? There’s nothing out here but farms and villages. I thought he wanted to go to the White Palace.”

Rin’s tail twitched from side to side. “Why would he want to go a place full of humans? Personally I cannot stand their stink.”

“I resent that.”

Rin ignored her and continued. “If the big eight hadn’t been trapped, then your people would never have been allowed to flourish like this.” She motioned towards the fields that surrounded them. “It’s disgusting, you’re inferior in every way possible and yet you continue to breed like vermin.”

“I am not vermin. I am the daughter of the emperor, I’ll have you know.” Suzume snapped. True she had been disowned but that didn’t change her lineage. Besides, Rin didn’t need to know that her father had disowned her.

Rin laughed. “Human rulers mean little to me. Back when the Dragon ruled along with his brothers and sisters, your people could hardly rub two sticks together. I don’t understand why humans are so sensitive.  Maybe that’s what makes you so delightful to tease.” She smiled again showing Suzume her fangs.

If Suzume had been a bit more sensible she would have shut her mouth, but she never did think before speaking. She was preparing a retort when a roar from above stopped her. A strong wind picked up and whipped her hair around her face. She pushed back the fly-away strands and glanced up to the sky. Rin ran past Suzume and towards the serpentine body of the dragon as it landed on the road nearby.

Suzume shuddered to see Kaito in his dragon form. He always appeared more menacing as a dragon. Maybe it was his massive jaws or the powerful coils of his body. It might also be the fact that he could squish her like a bug if he wished.  

“Master!” Rin cried. She ran to greet Kaito as he transformed back into his human form.

Kaito held Rin at arm’s length as she wiggled her tail back and forth. It reminded Suzume of a lap dog.

Suzume giggled and covered it with a sleeve. She cleared her throat to further cover up her laughter and said to the dragon, “Nice of you to join us. I was starting to hope that you’d never come back.”

Kaito pushed Rin aside to get a better view of Suzume. His expression was serious and for a moment Suzume paused. This isn’t like him. Does he suspect what I did? Rin pulled a face at Suzume over Kaito’s shoulder as if to say, ‘I know you really missed him.’ Suzume ignored her, instead focusing on the dragon. Let her think I care for Kaito. It will be that much easier to learn about my powers in secret and subdue both of them once I know how.