Chapter Thirty-eight

Suzume stood in mute shock. Kazue turned but she did not seem to see Suzume. Kazue walked down the hill and past Suzume before Suzume realized what she was seeing was not the living Kazue, but a vision of the past. The field they were standing in was strewn with crimson flowers which swayed in the breeze on long leafless stalks. The bright petals curled inward and were surrounded by thin tendrils which flickered like flames as Kazue swept through them. Pollen clung to Kazue’s red pants and sprinkled them with golden dust. Kazue was attired as a priestess, with her white tunic top and red pants. She stopped to pick a flower and rolled the long stem between her fingers. She looked up at the sky, as if she was waiting for something. Then Suzume heard a rumble like the crash of thunder. Kazue smiled at the sky and Suzume followed her gaze. Kaito in his dragon form, weaved through the clouds, his seprentine body dissapearing behind clouds and reappearing moments late. He twisted through the sky before tilting down towards the ground and an incredible speed. Kazue laughed.

“Enough drama, come down here, I have something exciting to tell you!” Kazue rested her hand against the flat of her stomach.

Kaito came down at a sharp angle towards Kazue. Had it been Suzume, she would have turned the other way and ran. Before he could collide with Kazue though. He transformed mid air and hit the ground. He rolled head over heels then popped up in front of Kazue. He threw his hands up in the air with a flourish.

Kazue clapped. “Very nice,” Kazue said with a roll of her eyes but she was smiling all the while.

“I will not stand you rolling your eyes at me, priestess.”

She shrieked in reply and ran away from him. He ran after and caught her easily enough. He gathered Kazue up in his arms by her waist. He swung her around as she giggled. Just seeing them together made Suzume’s stomach twist with jealousy. She knew it was the past but it might as well have been the Kaito she knew flaunting his love for Suzume’s past life in front of her. Is Kazue trying to torture me, why do I have to watch this sappy scene. When they were done kissing, Kaito set Kazue down on her feet.

“Now will you let me tell you my news?” Kazue said eyes dancing. Her hair was a tangled halo around her head and a few crushed red petals clung to the strands.

“In a moment,” Kaito said as he plucked a petal from her hair. “I want to drink in your body a bit longer.” He nuzzled her neck and kissed it. Suzume had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. How much longer is this going to go on?

Kazue pushed him away gently. “First let me tell you, what I was going to say,” she said. Kaito nodded but there was a smirk playing at the corner of his lips. Suzume knew that look, he was going to try something any moment. Kazue continued onward ignoring Kaito’s mischievous smirk. “You know we’ve been talking about the future —what we will do once I die…”

Kaito’s smile faded and he frowned instead. “Kazue, we’ve talked about this a hundred times. I cannot make you immortal.” He took a step away from Kazue. His shoulders were tense and Kazue’s posture change she was tight and alert. I get the feeling this is an old argument they’re both ready to fight.

Kazue crossed her arms over her chest. For Suzume, it was like looking in the mirror. She herself had done that same thing hundreds of times seeing Kazue do it was familiar, like dejavu or a half-remembered song where the lyrics were lost but you still had the impression of the melody. Maybe we are more alike than I thought. Suzume took a moment to study Kazue. At first she thought they looked alike but there were subtle differences. Kazue’s bow shaped mouth was the perfect shade of pink. Her eyes were larger than Suzume’s as well, and her face rounder. We don’t look much alike. At least I am prettier. Suzume thought with mild satisfaction.