Chapter Sixteen

The old woman offered for Suzume to stay the night. Since Suzume was not sure what else to do, she agreed. The hut was small and the old woman did not have much in the way of bedding. She gave Suzume some blankets and a place by the fire. After sleeping on the ground for weeks, even the blanket and a warm spot felt like a luxury.

She curled up in a ball beneath the blankets. She emptied her mind of thoughts of Kaito’s strange behavior and let sleep claim her.  She had just closed her eyes when something soft brushed against her face. Suzume’s eyes flew open. She peered up through the darkness to see Kaito leaning over her. He was grinning and his white smile stood out in the darkness of the room. She shot up and he just managed to dodge her head. She stared at him wide eyed more than a little disturbed to find him watching her sleep. Was he stroking my face? She touched her cheek. What kind of freak watches someone sleep?

“You disappeared,” Kaito said in a stage whisper.

Suzume’s back was towards the old woman. The old woman snorted in her sleep but did not seem to be disturbed by their late night visitor.

“What are you doing here?” Suzume hissed.  Her voice was louder than she intended and she froze, afraid she would wake her host. She glanced over at the old woman who rolled over in her sleep but did not awaken. Good thing she’s a heavy sleeper, I don’t know how I would explain this... Suzume eyed Kaito suspiciously.

“I came looking for you. I was worried.” He said and reached out to brush a stray hair away from her face. The touch of his fingertips against her bare skin sent a chill down her spine. He’s gentle when he wants to be. She shook her head. It’s the spell, don’t let it fool you, this is not the real Kaito.

“Stop doing that,” She slapped his hand away.

The sad puppy expression crossed his face and Suzume had to chide herself for feeling guilty for it. All I need to do is figure out how to break the spell, then he’ll go back to his annoying self once again. I never would have imagined I would be willing trying to get Kaito back to normal.

“Are you still upset about learning that you’re Kauze’s reincarnation?” Kaito crept closer to her on his knees. His hand brushed against hers as he took a seat beside her.

She recoiled and sat back on her knees. He’s a crafty one, I’m going to have to keep an eye on him or he may try and seduce me again.

“I am not her.” She snarled to avoid the uncomfortable feelings his close proximity elicited.  “You’re under some kind of spell that’s making you sappy and emotional.”

He shook his head. “No, this is how I really feel.” He pressed his hand to his chest to emphasize his point. His fingers were long and elegant and she thought about the way they brushed her face or pushed her hair behind her ears.

Wow. Get a hold of yourself. This has to be an effect of the spell. It’s making me crazy.

She slapped her cheeks. It hurt more than it helped her focus. Kaito was looking at her with a bemused expression once more. Now Suzume shook her head. What am I doing? I have no idea how to break this spell.

“You should rest, I’ll keep watch until morning,” he said.

She opened her mouth to argue but talking to him in this condition was like arguing with a wall. Despite that, her inherit stubborn nature kept her from seeing reason even if it was staring at her in the face.

“Then keep watch outside, I can’t sleep with you leering at me all night.”

He laughed and it filled her stomach with a fluttering feeling. Come on, body, don’t start betraying me now.