Chapter 40: Hearts on Fire

There have been quite a number of times in my life where I've been reckless, often resulting with my mother's scolding but lately I found myself engaging in activities where the stakes are sky-high and the danger this apparent.

I can feel my skin pricking. Inside my race suit, my sweat alternately froze and heated my skin. My stomach is in knots and despite the seeming calm veneer that I've put up as a facade, fear has settled in my gut the closer the time of the Open inched forward.

The green flag went down and I entered the track.

"PC concentrate on finishing the race safely," I heard Kuya Ali's voice over the comm lines. Napa-buntong hininga ako ng malakas.

"Prince ko, don't worry sa rankings," I heard Aya's voice and my heart did a skip. Alam kong sobrang nag-aalala siya at parang gusto kong batukan ang sarili ko. What the h*ll were you thinking Prince? Bakit ka nga ba nagpadala dito kay Nathan Arroyo?

Gago kasi siya, pati girlfriend ko harap-harapan niyang pinagnanasaan.

Pero wala nang urungan at nandito na ako. Please Lord, just keep all of us safe. I want to go back to my Aya safely.

"Baby, wag ka nang mag-alala please? I love you Aya."

"I love you too." I'm just thinking of coming back to her safely. I just want to hold her in my arms.

"Prince, warm up lap," Trixie reminded me and I took the customary lap. I don't really have to go too fast pero ilan sa mga kasama sa open ang nagpapasikat na kaagad sa paghataw kahit na warm-up pa lang. I spied Nathan's red Mustang at the head of the pack.

"Prince naka-input na sa AI ang track basta follow my instructions."

"Copy that Trixie," I slowed down and took my place on the starting lines. There are two columns of cars with eight cars on each side. There are ten laps with a scoring system in effect for standings on each lap.

Everything is so surreal; the quiet rumble of V-10 engines as they anticipated the signal, the spray of gravel as tires skid and sped, the steady drumming of the drizzle on my windshield, the smooth flow of water as it ever slowly trickled along my wipers.

The starting horn sounded and everything became a blur. My heart literally stopped beating as I released the brakes and Lady's speedometer surged to 220kph in four seconds. I found myself on a bottleneck sa unang turn. I slowed on the curve just as Kuya Ali taught me para hindi mapasali sa pile up ng mga kotseng naipit sa corner. I barely managed to escape pero tatlong kotse ang nagbanggaan. I watched as a Porsche 911 GT2 turn-turtled and had its rear smashed by the silver Mercedes Benz AMG right behind it. I stole a glance back and saw race officials and emergency personnel immediately attend to the pile-up. I'm on the third to the last position based on the board while Nathan is in second place.

"Prince i-bo-box-in ka niyang green na Challenger, unahan mo na. Overtake." Trixie instructed at nagpalit ako ng gear and accelerated before the car could move to position in front of me.

"One lap down, you are in Ninth position. Slowly but surely. Just make sure not to encounter any accidents." Yung puso ko parang nasa lalamunan ko habang lalong bumibilis is Lady. But I have to admit, she's one heck of a car. The car responds to my slightest movement at ang ganda ng lapat niya sa track the faster she goes. I could feel the wind as it buffeted Lady'spoilers and side skirts.

"Prince ko, I'll be waiting for you sa finish line," Aya's smile flashed in my mind and I realized I've really got nothing to worry about

I can do this.