Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Inuyasha waited impatiently inside the coffee shop, at a booth he and Kagome used to sit at when they were regulars in high school. Every time there was a jingle at the door, he looked over anxiously to see her, mentally groaning each time it wasn't her. He kept thinking about the picture in the newspaper, and the fact that Kagome, his ex, the girl whom he once loved, had something to do with it. Why would she do that to him? Was it out of spite? A retaliation for what he did to her. Why would she wait so long to do this? He was furious at first but the longer he sat there, he thought perhaps she still harbored feelings for him. After all, would anyone bother being vindictive toward someone they no longer cared about?

"Well, you haven't changed a bit." he heard Kagome's voice behind him. It sent a pang to his chest and he jumped in his seat as he turned to her. He stood up, wondering if he should hug her and refrained when she watched him warily as she slipped into her seat.

"Hey..." he said. His voice hoarse from not speaking the whole day. He couldn't get his eyes off of her as she sat down and avoided eyes with him. She looked at the waitress and nodded her head for her to come over.

" Yes?" said the waitress as she took out her notepad and a pen out of her hair.

" Can I get an espresso, please?" Kagome cleared her throat feeling uncomfortable from Inuyasha's glare.

" Sure, honey." said the waitress as she left to go get it.

"Espressos?" Inuyasha snorted. "Since when? You said they were too strong. No more caramel macchiatos?"

"Nope, not anymore." She answered curtly. "So... what was so important that we had to meet so suddenly?" She couldn't bring herself to look at him. It had been so long and for some reason, being right there with him triggered all these memories and familiarities they shared. In high school, this was their spot. They'd come to get coffee in the morning, go to school, Inuyasha would go to band practice and then meet her again at the coffee shop after practice. Kagome's eyes widened when he slipped the picture towards her side of the table. She shot a startled glance at him and looked back down at the picture.

"Can you tell me what that's about?" Inuyasha asked calmly. "Who's the guy in the picture, Kagome?"

Kagome stared at the picture of Sesshomaru and the drag queens and shrugged " I-uh-don't..."

"Don't tell me you don't know...because this is your picture. The girls at the photo department told me your name."

Shit, Kagome thought. What to do? Ok, just own it. What can he do anyway?

"It is mine, yes..." she said, rubbing her hands together under the table. "The guy..uh...he's just someone I hired to do the pose."

"Who is he?" Inuyasha asked again. "What's his name?"

"Just some guy I paid to wear a wig to look like you. He's innocent, just a guy...doing it for money."

"Why would you do this to me, Kagome? You have any idea what this picture has done? My career is shot. If this picture is yours then you must have had something to do with that whole Broadway drama, the hotel and drag queen joint!" Inuyasha spat. "I had to pay the hotel several grand for damages, and people are giving me shit for that kid who tried to commit suicide. I mean, Kagome, I get it, I messed up and you deserve revenge but shit...I mean, this is some ultimate revenge. I ruined your trust, you ruined my life."

"You ruined my life too, Inuyasha." Her voice cracked and suddenly a torrent of tears came out and there was no stopping it. She was surprised that she still harbored such pain. "I was about to be evicted if it weren't for—" she stopped. "anyway, it started out as a joke and got out of hand, okay? I'm sorry. I should go now."