fourteen

I won't lie, this chapter isn't going to be pleasant, so I'd prepare yourselves if you feel like this may upset you in anyway ❤️

"Wake up," Maeve groaned as her body endured another round of pain , her body falling back against the grass as if she'd been thrown, Wake up!"

Maeve gasped loudly as another hit to her body woke her up, sitting up with a wheeze as she tried to see past the darkness in her blurry vision, "Where are we? Where's Derek?"

Maeve couldn't see past her aunt, she couldn't see the hunters helping Kate, she couldn't see her home moments away from going up in flames.

Kate stepped off of the porch of Maeve's home, answering simply, "Dead."

For a second, Maeve swore she felt her heart stop. It was like she felt every emotion there was, panic spreading through her veins as the thoughts of Derek's death plagued her mind.

"No, no, you're lying-" Maeve cried, trying to pull herself up from the ground, but her poisoned body was too weak to move, "You're lying!"

Derek couldn't be dead, he just couldn't. Maeve reassured herself she would've felt it, she would've known. But all Maeve could feel at that moment was pain.

"He's gone, Maeve," Kate lied, smirking as she crouched in front of Maeve, easily winding her up, "He died screaming, just like the rest of them - and it's all your fault."

Maeve struggles as two sets of arms grabbed onto her, yanking her back away from her aunt.  Trails of gasoline were leading up to the house, the scent had just gotten to Maeve, and it was incredibly overwhelming.

Gasoline flooded maeves senses, staring at her aunt in disbelief "No-"

Kate twirled the lighter in her hand, "Its you or them, Diana."

Maeve took a deep breath, slowly pulling herself away from the two other hunters, stumbling on her feet "Kill me instead!"

The wound in her chest screamed at her in pain as she moved, wobbly on her feet as she tried to keep herself up, Maeve knew she couldn't fight this battle.

"Kill me instead!" Maeve shouted back at the hunter, her voice growing stronger from the anger overtaking her pain, "Just don't hurt them - this is my fault, okay? Hurt me, kill me, I don't care! Just leave them alone."

Kate stormed forward, shoving the lighter in Maeve's face to see clearly, "This is all because of you. If you'd of just listened for once! You were never a hero! Not to them, you were their enemy, you still are!"

Maeve had always ignored Kate's comments, she always knew Kate was trying to taunt her. This time it was different, Maeve believed her. The guilt settling in her mind was unbearable.

"It wouldn't have to come to this if you had just done what you were supposed to do," Kate turned away from Maeve, slowly walking towards one of the cellar windows.