Chapter 24 ~ Mila

Chapter 24 ― Mila

For the first time I really felt like Zayn was interested in me, in what I did, what I wanted. I felt for the first time that he was really talking to me and I stopped to be just Alex’s friend for him. I was finally Mila. My heart felt lighter and the beats were easier, as our conversation.

During that afternoon I discovered Zayn and I could really get along and we could talk about many things. I could tell him all those things I liked to know that most people weren’t interested in, and he would listen to me fascinated. He was interested in what I was telling him and that was all what I wanted in someone. A person who would like to listen to me because I had things to say, things that were part of me and this hungry of knowing more and more was one of the things that defined me. That he was willing to know all those things and share with me this information made me feel incredible, warm.

I liked how even if he didn’t know what I was talking about, he listened to me carefully and asked things to have everything clearer. I never imagined it was going to be so easy to talk to him about things I normally only talked to Moni. Now I knew that even if I wanted to talk about how pirates used to talk in those times, he would listen to me and pay attention.

I truly enjoyed those hours with him and by when Niall and Alex came back and walked into the kitchen, I was really sorry that our time alone was over.

When I saw the couple walking hand in hand and laughing at something I didn’t know what it was, I looked at Zayn expecting to find a hurt expression, the same I saw the first time, when I met him and that it was always in his features when Niall and Alex were together oblivious to the world. But that day his expression was different and that made my heart beat faster. He was genuinely smiling at them, and even though I saw longing in his eyes, it didn’t give me the feeling that what he wanted was Alex, but something bigger than that. It made me feel like what he wanted was that kind of relationship.

I thought about that and considered the point. Maybe it was that all the time, maybe all what he wanted was to be loved.

“How was your afternoon alone?” Zayn asked with a sincere smile.

“Great, yet cold,” Niall replied and Alex giggled. “We almost froze to the bone, but it was worth it,” added the blond boy wrapping his arm around Alex’s waist and pulling her close.

“Are we still up for the bonfire?” The boy next to me asked and the couple nodded before both walked to the fridge. Sometimes I wondered if they were able of not being hungry all the time. It seemed like they couldn’t, both were bottomless pits.

“By the way, Mila,” Zayn told me almost ignoring the couple trying to decide what to eat. “I’m gonna read all your stories now that I know where to find them.” His smile was mischievous and I just opened my eyes as much as I could. He even laughed at my expression. “Yup, I’m gonna be your biggest fan now and me and Phebs are gonna talk about your stories and become BFFs,” he teased me and I smacked his arm for saying those things.

“Twat,” I mumbled but I was laughing because at my mind came an image of him and Phebs fangirling over a scene in the story. “I’m gonna delete the history on your mobile,” I threated him trying to grab his phone but he took it first.

“That ain’t gonna happen, love,” he said and his tone and the way he looked at me sent shivers down my spine.

“Give it to me!” I demanded trying to reach the damn phone again but he was taller than me and he even stood up so I couldn’t get hold of his mobile. “Zayn!” I whined kneeling on the chair where I was sat trying to catch his gadget but he kept pulling it away from me.