Chapter 21 ~ Zayn

Chapter 21 ― Zayn

I was barely awakening when two bodies jumped over me screaming and holding onto me for dear life. I didn’t understand what was going on, I just knew I couldn’t sleep anymore.

It took me a couple of seconds to collect all the details. The curly hair all over my face, the little and feminine body grabbing my waist, and all the screams.

“We’re gonna die! The Woman is gonna take us all! And I’m the youngest! Oh fuck! I’m gonna die first!” Those were Harry’s screams.

I looked down at the little body and saw Mila holding onto me with her eyes shut close and trembling with fear. I pushed Harry aside ignoring his yelling and grabbed Mila to pull her closer to me. I sat her on my lap and wrapped my arms around her. I didn’t know what was going on, but if she needed me, I was going to be there, because evidently she was scared.

“What’s going on?” I asked to no one in particular, just hoping someone would answer.

“Moni doesn’t wake up and I heard scratches and the wind and I don’t wanna die! Zayn!” Mila cried out hugging me tighter. “There’re no kids in this house. She’s gonna take us all instead!”

“Zayn!” Harry cried too and I got surprised that he was scared, too. “I heard the scratches on the walls, too! I’m the youngest! She’s gonna take me first!”

I didn’t know if I had to laugh or try to calm them down, but then I heard the scratches on the walls, too and I jumped up with Mila still holding on to me. “Fuck!” I screamed. Those scratches weren’t something you could explain easily, they really sounded like someone was running their nails on the wall.

“Told you! We’re all gonna die!” Mila cried and I hugged her tighter.

“I got you. You’ll be fine,” I promised her although I was getting scared, too. Then we heard this sick laugh and Harry climbed onto me like I was a fucking mountain, and the three of us were screaming.

“Okay, if we all gonna die, I have some things to say. Harry, I love you like a brother! You’re great, I’m sorry we couldn’t hang out more,” Mila said close to tears. Maybe she was exaggerating, maybe nothing was going to kill us, although in that moment it seemed like those were our last moments. “Zayn, I don’t hate you. I quite like you in fact, I just hate that you can’t see me. I’m not Alex and I hate that you only see a reflection of her in me,” she continued surprising me right before a loud and abnormal knock made us all jump and forget everything.

“I love you all!” Harry cried out. The three of us were hugging for dear life and I wanted to say something too, but the curly-haired boy was almost choking me.

The scratches stopped and so did the knocks and laughter. The whole house was silent again but Mila was still trembling in my arms and my heart was beating like crazy. None of us moved, I kept my eyes on the door expecting for someone to storm in ready to kill us all. Harry let me go and decided to hug a pillow, he also kept looking at the door, waiting and dreading for someone to come in. Mila was still with her face buried in my chest and shaking like a little bird that fell out the nest.

I was scared, too, those noises were damn weird and it all seemed like a real horror movie, but so fast that I didn’t have time to react to anything, nor to think; but I never let go of her. I kept her close to me and if something weird was indeed going on, and someone was going to attack us —it could be a burglar—, I was going to protect her.

I didn’t know why she was here, but I was damn happy that she was looking for help in my arms. Even if Harry was there, she was holding on to me, trusting me to keep her, somehow, safe.