Funeral

"New directions! I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant- Jesse St. James." Mr. Shue introduces. Rachel's the only one to clap. Today, Noah was sitting next to me to 'make sure I don't maul him' so that he won't have to, and I quote. 'Find a spot to bury his body, so you won't find him again... and maul him.'

"I don't trust this guy. How do we know he's not just going to trick us into doing something stupid so his alma mater wins?" Finn asks.

"I don't think I need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn." Jesse fires back.

"You're one to talk Jesse, in case you forgot, you flunked out of college..." I bite back. Finn gives me a smile and Lauren looks as me, holding back a laugh.

"Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls. Now, I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get. Because... this is it. We've been working so hard for two years for this moment and that moment is finally here. Now, I was talking with Jesse, and he agreed that we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of one group number and one duet." Mr. Shue says.

"Rachel and I should sing a duet. We killed it last year at regionals with 'faithfully'." Finn suggested.

"Yeah, killed us- we lost." Quinn pointed out.

"May I?" Jesse asks.

"Uh, Yeah." Mr. Shue allows.

"I agree that Rachel should sing lead, but Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. Fact is, most of the other guys In here are better singers, and Mike chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop." Jesse says factually. Noah turns away from me to laugh and I look at him and then in Kurt who's turned to Noah trying not to laugh, in betrayal.

"You- you see? You see what I'm talking about? This guys a jerk!" Finn shouts.

"Jesse, maybe you could, uh, be a little bit gentler with your advice." Mr. Shue suggests.

"Gentle? [yes, Mr. Shue said] I'm sorry. I didn't realize that we were training for the 'good try' ribbon at nationals. I thought we were in it to win the whole damn thing. And there's only one way we can do that." Jesse says with suspense.

"Poison darts?" Brittany asks.

"The vocal adrenaline strategy is simple- identify your best performer and build the entire performance around them." Jesse explains.

"So what does everyone else do?" Mercedes asks.

"And who's our star performer?" Noah asks.

"We're gonna have auditions to find out. I'm going to post a sign-up sheet later this afternoon." Mr. Shue says, sighing.

"Mr. Shue, don't you think this is kind of not your style?" Finn asks.

"Finn, normally i'd agree with you, but this is the big time. I think we should listen to Jesse." Sam points out.

Later In the day I pass the sign up sheet for the auditions and i stop. I look at the paper, the names on it, and the pen next to it. The familiar bubble of nervousness sets in. I hear a chuckle from behind me.

"Calm down. I can always tell when your nervous." Jesse brags as he comes to stand next to me. I keep my eyes locked onto the paper. I squeeze my fists together to stop myself from hurting him.

"Can you tell when I'm angry too?" I ask, my jaw locked as I speak through my teeth. He laughs again.

"I always knew you were great Dani. I thought you were good enough to get into vocal adrenaline and I think your good enough to possibly get this solo. Don't let your nerves keep you from your dreams." Jesse says softly. I sigh and uncurl my fists. I grab the pen and swiftly write my name.