Chapter 5-A Big Favor

''I need your help." Rebecca said, her tone completely serious. I was shocked, to say the least.

"Really? You need my help?" I responded breaking into a laugh. She just stared at me. "Why would you--Rebecca--need my help? You're the smartest kid in our grade, your dad gives you everything you want, so what could you possibly want from me?" I asked, genuinely curious.

Rebecca's like, perfect. Some one like her does not ask favors of people like me.

She shifted to the side of the bed uncomfortably, and looked down at her hands. Then she said so low, that if I weren't a werewolf I probably wouldn't have heard her. "You're not the only one with mate problems, Roxie."

I was shocked. Who knew that Rebecca Goldstein would have 'mate problems', as she put it.

The look on her face was so sad that I actually felt bad for her.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, sitting at the edge of her bed.

She looked up at me, tears in her eyes. "You remember when I was sort of depressed and I ran away that one time?"

"Of course I do. Nelson spent days looking for you." I replied.

Rebecca nodded. "Well I was in Florida. I always wanted to go see the beach, so I went. When I was there I met Darren Pollawsko, my mate. He's a part of the 'little foot' pack. We immediately hit it off. We went on an actual date and it was so much fun! Anyway, we ended up back at the hotel I was staying at and, umm, ended up...having sex" She mumbled the last part, blushing. I couldn't help the snicker that escaped my mouth. She glared at me, but continued. "The next morning when I woke up, he was gone. And all he left behind was this." She handed me a small yellow piece of paper that looked really raggedy. It said:

'I'm sorry, Becca.'

I looked back at Rebecca as a lone tear ran down her cheek. "I'm sorry, that's it! All he said was 'Im sorry' and I never heard for him again. I'm just glad he didn't mark me, or it would probably kill me when he's with other girls." She shook her head and angrily wiped a tear away.

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion. Kill her?

"Since we completed step one of the mating process, I can feel it every time he's with another girl," she raised her shirt up and I gasped in horror at what I saw.

Her stomach was covered in blue and black bruises that were swelling up. "Oh my gosh, Rebecca does it hurt?!" I shrieked.

She gave me a flat look. "Of course it hurts! But there's nothing I can do about it!"

"You have to tell some one. Rebecca that is dangerous!"

"No!" She looked at me in horror. "You cannot tell anyone! No one else knows. The only reason I told you is because I need your help. Please, Roxie."

"How is that even possible?"

She glanced away from me. "I don't know. But my guess is that sense I can't mentally possibly know when he's with those girls and I can't feel the pain, the wolf spirits are giving me physical pain so that I'd have no choice other than to do something about it. They're really strict when it comes to this sort of thing. They actually believe that we all are really meant to be."

I sighed. I really wanted to tell Nelson--or at least uncle Scott but she looked so desperate, plus she has the whole 'Harper' thing hanging over my head and I needed to be on her good side. "So what is it you want me to do?" I asked her, brushing hair out of my face.

"I have to go back to Miami to see him. I need to know why Darren just up and left without so much as a goodbye. Its been eating me up inside. This is where you come in. My dad will never let me go half across the country--alone. But if you agree to come with me, he'd probably approve. He thinks you're responsible and stuff. I know it!"

I guess this made sense, but I had my doubts. "Why are you so sure of this? I mean, I did supposedly put you in the hospital. He probably would think we'd kill each other."

She sighed and shook her head in agreement. "It doesn't hurt to try."

I was going to respond when Kyle texted me. 'Hey, babe. Can I see you?' I quickly replied saying 'Sure, on my way.'

It been a while since I've hung out with Kyle. All we ever did, really, was make out. Nothing more, nothing less, but still.

I stood up from her bed and grabbed my bag and car keys. "I've gotta go, but I'm happy to help. When are we supposed to be going anyway?"

"Spring break is in two weeks. We can go then!" She chirped, happily.

I nodded and left, on my way to Kyles house. As usual, we just ended up in his room making our, while the tv blasted loudly, when Kyle pulled away. "I'm having a party on Friday." He said.

I nodded, trying not to show him my irritation that he stopped kissing me. "Okay?"

"And I want you to be my date." He finished. "Oh," I blushed. "Umm, sure. Of course I will."

I tried to ignore the little voice inside my head that made me feel bad for kissing Kyle. I always figured that when I found my mate, Kyle and I would break up. But I guess it doesn't matter now. Good thing he's great at keeping my mind off Harper.

"Awesome!" He exclaimed, pulling me in for another kiss.