Chapter 56

Greg drove quietly to the airport. My mind and emotions were still a mess after what happened but it was strange that I wasn't crying. Maybe because this time, I properly bid my goodbye.

"Saka na kita hahalikan sa labi kapag kaya na kitang buhayin at panindigan."

I reached for my forehead as I remembered his words. A quick smile escaped from my lips and I clutched the necklace he gave to me. I never thought I would hear those words in this generation because he sounded like some kind of a gentleman in the distant past.

"I won't tell anything to your father," Greg suddenly said and I could see the subtle smile on his face from the mirror. He must have seen that.

"I don't think that's a story worth telling."

He chuckled. "Every story is worth it for him if it includes you. That's how responsible parents feel."

Tears started to well up in my eyes when he told that. I thought I wouldn't cry but it was hard to hold back when it comes to them.

"He's nice, that guy," he added. "As a father myself, I'd rather have my daughter dating someone respectful and responsible than someone who's only good-looking or rich."

Nagulat ako nang sabihin niya 'yon. Greg doesn't usually talk so talking about his life was such a surprise.

"You have a daughter?" I asked.

"Yeah. She's five. She's cute," he beamed. "She's my happiness."

"I see." I was contemplating whether to say it or not, but in the end, I couldn't help it. "Don't leave her."

Napatingin ulit siya sa rear view mirror at nakangiti pa rin siya.

"You and your father said the same words," he said. "It's amazing."

Hindi na ako nakapagsalita pagkatapos no'n at tumahimik na rin siya habang nagda-drive. I looked outside and golden hues and streaks were starting to cover the morning sky. Dawn had come and it was my last time looking at it in this place.

Pagdating namin sa airport ay agad na rin kaming nag-board sa business class. The physical and emotional exhaustion washed over me and I immediately fell asleep. I was in deep slumber that Greg had to tap me several times to wake me up.

My mind was still in daze when we arrived at Changi airport. Habang hinihintay ko si Greg ay bumili muna ako ng coffee para magising ang diwa ko. After a few minutes, dumating na ang car namin at dumiretso kami sa bahay ni Dad.

"I need to leave," Greg said while looking at his wristwatch. "If you need anything, just call me," sabay abot niya ng calling card. "I'll be back at 1 P.M."

Pagkatapos niyang ibaba ang mga gamit ko ay napaupo na lang ako sa couch sa living room.

It felt weird. Several hours ago, I was still in my comfort zone. Now, I have to live with Dad in an unfamiliar house in a foreign country for a long time.

I remembered the first time I was here. I requested to stay in a hotel because I didn't want to see my father that time. I was consumed by my anger that I resented to be in the same place with him.

Nilibot ko ang paningin ko at nakaramdam ako ng kaunting inggit. Even though it was just a short time, Dad, Mom, Czanelle and Clark lived here happily. Sana, kahit papaano, kahit sandali lang, nakasama ko rin sila nang buo pa kami. If only I talked to them few years earlier, maybe everything would be different. Maybe we would even have the chance to be together before Mom lost her memories of us. Now, that's just an impossible dream.

Umakyat ako sa second floor at napatigil ako nang makita ko ang pangalan ko sa pinto ng isang kwarto. I opened it and I was surprised to see a well-decorated room. A smile escaped my lips but tears also started to well up in my eyes.